GF Wheat beer clone? (Is it possible?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trollby

Reaction score
DKershner has the Keineweizen which seems like it is kinda what I am looking at.

But wondering is the BW a steep or mash?

Did you Malt the BW?

What about Millet?

I am pretty new and limited on the stuff I have and working my toys up (no grain mill yet)

Thanks ahead of time.

Also thanks DKershner the GF - No Pils is in fermentor now and smells great as it bubbles away, sitting at 53* F

--- Edit ---

Just noticed in notes BW was in grain sack so steep only, but was it malted?

I cant help with the questions about DK's recipe, but I just bottled Lcasonovas Blood Orange Hefe and it turned out fantastic. The only change I made is that I went with 3lb BRS and 3lb Sorghum syrup. I fermented on the high side around 72 and I was pleased with the WB-06 yeast.

Only problem for me is that BRS is not available locally, I used Rice Syrup Solids as a sub, may need to order some online

--- Edit --

Were does everyone order GF stuff here (Best price and availability)

I got my BRS from Annapolis Homebrew they sell it in the 3lb bags and its about 10$. They have flat rate shipping so throw some extra stuff in the order to make it worth the shipping.

Only problem for me is that BRS is not available locally, I used Rice Syrup Solids as a sub, may need to order some online

--- Edit --

Were does everyone order GF stuff here (Best price and availability)

If you are getting rice syrup solids, like the kind I get from Northern Brewer, that is basically the same as BRS, just more concentrated.

If you are getting rice syrup solids, like the kind I get from Northern Brewer, that is basically the same as BRS, just more concentrated.

I don't remember if it was Northwestern Extract or Breiss extract Rice Syrup Solids but I think it is the same thing, kinda like DME-vs-LME (1#dry=1.3#liquid)

I don't remember if it was Northwestern Extract or Breiss extract Rice Syrup Solids but I think it is the same thing, kinda like DME-vs-LME (1#dry=1.3#liquid)

I forgot to answer your question, I get my ingredients mostly from Northern Brewer. I check Midwest Supplies as well, but so far it always seems to shake out that either NB is a couple bucks cheaper (once shipping and all is figured in) or that MS doesn't carry or is out of the hops or yeast that I want.

I've considered ordering from Annapolis or Austin, but the price usually ends up being the same, and I'm so close to Northern Brewer that things arrive the day after they ship them.

I try to get stuff that I can from the homebrew shop in Black River Falls (hops, tubing, airlocks, that sort of stuff), but its a bit of a haul...

I use High Gravity Brew to procure my BRS. It is a good price, $2.95/lb, and can be bought by the pound. It is nice not to have to buy it in 3# increments.

The beer you are referring to is Keineweizen #2, which I have not brewed yet.

The plan was just to use raw, unmalted buckwheat in a grain sack just to try and derive some of the flavor. The last keineweizen I made had the esters of a hefe, but lacked that...sweetish backbone. Not sure buckwheat is the way to get there, but I was going to try. Now I think I might go with Amber Candi Syrup instead...not sure.

I was reading the back of Blue Moon Belgium White and it said that they used oats as part of the grain bill. In my next attempt at a blood orange hefe I plan on steeping 2lbs of GF oats. It may not be exactly the wheat flavor but I am hoping it at least adds some backbone.

Next question....

Is steeping GF grains the same 1.5-2quarts per # of BIAB the same?

Also I am looking at heat water too boil drop temp to 160-165* F add the bag (Temp should drop to 150's range) and maintain 150*F for 1 hour

Does that sound about right for 1/2# Millet and 1/2# GF Rolled Oats (Red Mill) in 2 qts water.

Thanks

Back