Top up my cider using: water, apple juce...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamlove2020

Reaction score
I have two gallons of cider currently in second fermentation, but i need to top them up what should i use? Would store bought apple juice be ok or would store bought cider be better or just water?

Cider and juice will have similar results, and if it is just topping off a little, they will be pretty much the same. Just make sure there is no preservatives added to the mix, it will prevent fermentation.

Don't use water.

Well you don't want your cider to go into fermentation again so I wouldn't use juice. I heard the best thing ever this weekend. Boil up some marbles in water to sterilize and add as many as it takes to remove what airspace you want to.

Depends on your reason for topping off, I didn't think about that. I would rather top off with juice, adding some sediment, but I guess it can become an unending cycle in a way.

Adding marbles is great, but it can take quite a lot of them to fill the space needed, just keeping that in mind.

I just remember someone suggesting this on another forum and someone responding with the large number of marbles it took. Granted, perhaps this was someone trying to top off a 5 gal carboy with only 3 gals of brew in it, I don't remember. But I agree that it would be a perfect way to do it if cost isn't absurd.

Yeah I;m curious now... if not racking why are you topping off?

Depends on your reason for topping off, I didn't think about that. I would rather top off with juice, adding some sediment, but I guess it can become an unending cycle in a way.

Adding marbles is great, but it can take quite a lot of them to fill the space needed, just keeping that in mind.

Well thanks a lot for all the replies, the reason for topping off is so that there's not much air in bottle to spoil the cider, I read this is important in, 'The first steps of wine making' can't remember author. Might try the marble idea instead of the cement heard that cement doessn't taste the may west. And its not much room so hopefully not much marles needed. Keep on rockin on......jamlove

Well thanks a lot for all the replies, the reason for topping off is so that there's not much air in bottle to spoil the cider, I read this is important in, 'The first steps of wine making' can't remember author. Might try the marble idea instead of the cement heard that cement doessn't taste the may west. And its not much room so hopefully not much marles needed. Keep on rockin on......jamlove

When you make the cider, you left alot of headspace? I'm not sure I understand.
You definitely want to minimize the headspace. I usually keep a little wine bottle of "extra" must that I made with the cider/wine and use it to top off after racking.

Back