Berliner Weisse help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeaponTheyFear

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So Monday after brewing a saison I decided to also brew a Berliner Weisse as well since it is fast and sounds easy. So I did 50% pils, 50% wheat, and .25 oz of Hallertauer. Boiled for 10 minutes and ended up a little low on my OG at 1.029. Cooled down to 90 degrees and pitched a 750mL starter of Wyeast 5335 Lactobacillus Delbrueckii. So from what I've read you're supposed to give 5335 a couple days head start before pitching a clean yeast, which I was going to pitch Wyeast American ale since I had it on hand already. Anyway, Thursday I took a gravity reading and tasted it to see how sour it is. There was no sourness at all, but according to my gravity reading, it was at 1.008.

So my question is, is my hydrometer off? Why is there no sourness if it isn't? I know beers with wild yeast are supposed to take longer to develop but is it normal for a beer to be near FG yet have no sourness? Should I wait longer and keep tasting before I pitched my other yeast or just pitch now?

Other info: I did see bubbling from the airlock and a small krausen a day after pitching lacto. Unfortunately I cannot keep the beer at 90+ degrees so its been sitting at ambient temps (70-80). How much does this play into the sourness?

Without a warmer temp, it will take longer for sourness to be present. Can you test the pH?

One thing I'm starting to do is collect and pour dregs from some Berliners I've had. Maybe if you have access to any this could add to the souring process and complexity of the beer.

My Berliner took a couple weeks for the sourness to come through even though the lacto ferment looked like it was boiling. I did ferment with wild lacto at 90 deg, even so the sourness took some time to come through.

My Berliner took a couple weeks for the sourness to come through even though the lacto ferment looked like it was boiling. I did ferment with wild lacto at 90 deg, even so the sourness took some time to come through.

Thanks a lot. I was that concerned with the sourness, just concerned that the lacto fermented the beer and there was no sourness. I figured the sourness would take a while along with the fermentation. Lesson learned.

Back