Hops in wort into Fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiscoMan

Reaction score
So I brewed my stout today. :rockin:

Tossed in my hops according to schedule.

Chilled my wort down like normal.

Poured all of my wort into my fermentor, pitched hydrated yeast and Done.

I notice now about 4 hours later there is already a huge layer of crap at the bottom. I am assuming it is some grain, oats, and mostly hops. Will this be a huge problem if I plan on leaving it to ferment for many weeks?

IMG_0797.jpg

My only concern is the "grassy" flavor that people say develops after the beers sits with hops for a long time.

Same here. I've had hop mess in the bottom.
One thing is you are going to get less beer out of the bucket than if you didn't have that stuff in there. It's going to make maybe up to 1/2 gallon of un recoverable wort in the bottom.

I'm looking for a better system for hopping and dry hopping. Bags add up with maybe three or more hop additions and maybe dry hopping.
I need a good reusable hop container. I would like to come up with something for the boil, and maybe something that will go into and out of a carboy.

Thanks everyone! I wil not worry about it then.

And Yes i agree that I need a better system as well. I dry hopped an IPA and had a bunch of hop mess in my secondary which ended up getting into my bottles. The beer turned out great though.

And Yes i agree that I need a better system as well. I dry hopped an IPA and had a bunch of hop mess in my secondary which ended up getting into my bottles. The beer turned out great though.

WiscoMan said:

I still use panty hose or cheese cloth with marbles for the secondary.

I use a strainer to keep alot of that extra stuff out of the fermentation container.

A really easy way to avoid this is to stir your beer in your kettle to create a whirlpool effect. Let it set for a while, the siphon it from the brew kettle into the fermenter. All the hop crap will settle in the middle and you can siphon from the side. You will still pick up some, but not nearly as much.

Do you think I should let it ferment for its normal time of say 3-4 weeks, then cold crash?

Do you think I should let it ferment for its normal time of say 3-4 weeks, then cold crash?

That sounds very fine...cold crashing is used more often to try and produce a brilliant clear beer...you have a stout so not much benefit in cold crashing, you likely couldn't tell the difference...RDWHAHB....you're doin fine!

haha thanks. Yea I just want to cold crash to get as much out of suspension so it has a real clean taste as well.

Back