Same price - New 525SS or Used 425SS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
I am betting a brass 3 tap tower and can get Brass plated new 525 perlicks or Brass plated used 425 perlicks for about the same price. My concerns about buying used is they do show so small scratches and with brass used faucets can lose that luster. However, I have read that the 525 has problems with heavy tap handles spinning and falling open. I could also get the 575 which for what I have read don't have the problems of the 575 but introduce user error of people that dont know how to pour (friends). What you would you guys recommend?

the problems were just that the tap handle spins freely which kind of sucks if you have nice custom made ones like me. Also, i heard that they open so easy, a large heavy tap handle can cause them to open by themselves. Has these issues been solved?

the problems were just that the tap handle spins freely which kind of sucks if you have nice custom made ones like me. Also, i heard that they open so easy, a large heavy tap handle can cause them to open by themselves. Has these issues been solved?

I've never read of anyone having tap handles "spinning freely" on a 525. There's the standard adjustable handle jacket on top of an adjustable bonnet to accept and lock-down standard faucet handles.

Otoh, I can personally attest that it doesn't take much effort to open a 525, so I could totally see long and/or weighty handles causing inadvertent pours...

Cheers!

Back