Your Dream Brew Pub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncleben113

Reaction score
In your fantasy Brew Pub, what cool little things would you offer to your customers?

I often like to fantasize about opening one up, and I have a few ideas that I think would go over really well to get people involved and make it a more special place and I want to hear yours too!

Ok so here it goes:

1) On top of your beer, we could add a fresh hop cone for a quarter. Not my idea but a good one!

2) Themed giveaway/discount nights. ex The first 20 people to come in with a glow stick get a free 8oz beer and everyone after that gets 30% off. I would probably do costumes and accessories too. Think about the additional fun as the night progresses.

3) Happy hour for bacon. That's right. For an hour out of the week, unlimited bacon would be served! I heard about something like this on a show that the Food Network had that was on small bars.

4) Brew classes for all.

5) A series of small-batch, experimental beers that would be available for sampling or full beers. Not only would these be strange/experimental, but they would be cheap and people could make recommendations for new ingredients/recipe ideas.

Those are just a few but now I want to hear your ideas!

I've often fantasized about my own brew pub as well...I heard somethign about the bacon happy hours, and the hop cones. I always thought it would be cool to have 'art' days where you can buy a ceramic stein and decorate it to leave in the bar. Then you have your own barware there (college bar did similar with glass mugs and stickers). ALso working with local brew shops for 'brew days' is something I have toyed around with as well. It helps promote the hobby, the brew shop and it a fun time for those interested.

Letting people decorate and keep their glasses there is a great idea. That'd be a lot of fun and you could put on competitions with them and all kinds of things.

I thought about maybe doing some type of brewing classes too, locally but we don't have a local shop so I'm not sure awareness or interest would be high enough. You never know though

This is all totally ripped off from one of my favorite craft beer bars but they're what makes the place so great: Flights of beer, cool music (not the stuff they play on commercial radio), rotating original art on the walls, total beer geek (but not beer snob) bartenders, etc.

This is all totally ripped off from one of my favorite craft beer bars but they're what makes the place so great: Flights of beer, cool music (not the stuff they play on commercial radio), rotating original art on the walls, total beer geek (but not beer snob) bartenders, etc.

Good music is a must! It would have to have at least a couple of live bands each week.

Letting local artists put up their art would be awesome, too giving them some exposure and the bar some sweet art.

Fast service by hot waitresses. The good beer doesn't cost too much. Music isn't too loud where ya can't talk to folks. No cover bands... Ever. Comfortable place to sit and drink. Within walking distance. No TVs.

I'm big on the programs where you drink certain beers and as you hit specific levels you get discounts, t-shirts, mugs, etc. I've done a few of them, and am currently working through one of the most involved programs I've ever seen at a place in NJ.

I'd also like to see more brewpubs aligning their beer with their menu items. I've been to too many brewpubs which either don't suggest a particular beer for their entrees, or have beers that which don't generally align with their food choices at all.

love the surly volunteer army. granted they're alot of production work, but the idea that people come out to lend a hand around the place for a few packs of beer speaks highly of your beer and the employees working there. never heard of something so coordinated anywhere around me, but im sure they arent the only ones.

On Christmas Eve and Christmas day, I'd open up the tanks. To allow everyone without families, or a place to go, rich or poor, drink for free.

After the obvious big flat screen and the NFL package. I would say craft beers from arround the country. So a guy living in CA could taste what is being made in NY, TX, or MN. Just a tap or 2 two that could change beers after a keg or 2 so something new was always available.

They could call it "LAWSUIT NIGHT!!!"....Thanks for your councel, junior. If I need a lawyer. I'll be sure to call you.

On Christmas Eve and Christmas day, I'd open up the tanks. To allow everyone without families, or a place to go, rich or poor, drink for free.

Lawsuit Night it is! We'll be sure to keep your tab open just in case any undue expenses emerge :cross:

beer-wise, i'd want to offer pint and half-pint servings. In addition to the brewpub beers, I'd try to balance mostly regional craft beers with a good rotating schedule of american, UK, german, belgian beers.

I'd have a free jukebox, and ipod DJ nights (bar near me has a night when everyone gets 3 songs off their ipod, ends up being really eclectic, pretty cool)

also really fond of some local bar-snack offerings that I'd certainly ripoff for my own brew pub: one is indian-spiced kettle corn and the other serves homemade spicy roasted almonds

A solid lineup of house beers with a few seasonals, great pizza, pool table, pinball machines, and a burlesque show.

I'd have a free jukebox, and ipod DJ nights (bar near me has a night when everyone gets 3 songs off their ipod, ends up being really eclectic, pretty cool)

I love this idea. I haven't seen it before, but it would be awesome. May have to implement that in my dream pub.

...and a burlesque show.
This isn't a bad idea either.

My pub is going to be simple. dim with dark wood, maybe a dart board, a decent selection of beers, and pipe smoking allowed. And soothing, relaxing music most of the time at a tolerable volume (<80dB). No more accoutrements than that.

That is an awesome idea! I bet you do get a nice eclectic mix. Sounds fun. Definitely going in mine

The idea for my own place (home keezer with soon to be 10 faucets) may sort of transfer over. I plan to have private faucets (to include a lock with the owner holding the key) to which that person will have their choice brew hooked up. If a buddy of mine enjoys a specific recipe, he pays for the ingredients for an 8 gallon batch. We make it, I keep three gallons for myself, and the remainder is his to consume as likes during visits. Plus I am almost guaranteed to have people at least act like they like me. :rockin:

The IPOD deal is genius by the way.

I like brewpubs that have some sort of mug club. The members have an engraved mug, slightly larger than your average pint glass, but filled for the same price.

After the obvious big flat screen and the NFL package. I would say craft beers from arround the country. So a guy living in CA could taste what is being made in NY, TX, or MN. Just a tap or 2 two that could change beers after a keg or 2 so something new was always available.

Theme the discounts to the event. It's Monday Night Football and it's the 49ers and the Patriots? Anchor Steam and Sam Adams happy hour!

to celebrate Big Blue's (NY Giants, but guess it could work for Dodgers/etc too) all Blueberry beers will be half off on Tuesday. Breckenridge discounts their Avalanche beer $1 when the Avalanche are playing.

Then of course, small-batch weird experimental stuff. Beers named after local stuff. faux competitions. Make a Mets beer and a Yankees beer (even dare to dye them team colors) and keep a running tally of beers sold and who is winning. Most sales gets theirs discounted during playoff season.

Huge smoker for BBQ, brick pizza oven (coal fired?), large fireplace. BBQ, pizza, big burgers, fried catfish and chicken as specialties.

Large windows overlooking the brewery, big TV's on the walls, one TV will be fixed up to look like a Starship view screen, and only show Star Trek episodes and movies.

Hot waitresses dressed hotly (bikini night?).

My brews, craft brews, full bar.

Fun for all, but smoking only in the Biergarten.

;)

Homemade potato chips.
And homemade warm soft pretzels.

People would love em, plus they make you thirsty and drink more!

Dogs would have to be welcome from say 1100 till 1700 (11:00 am to 5 pm).

Have the mainstay taps, the seasonal taps and a 'freestyle' tap that gets brewed in small batches weekly with the help a local homebrewer.

It would have to be located somewhere it never snows, never rains, never gets cold, always open, palm trees, open air, sand, quiet, never crowded and the person serving the drinks had better not speak a bit of english...

Mine would have an outdoor patio with a canopy of hop vines over it for shade. Of course this wouldnt be possible all year round but it would look awesome and provide hops for the brew!

I'd say a handful of year round staples on tap, a couple seasonals, and a constantly rotating small batch experimental bottle menu. As well as a couple rotating "guest" taps for either other local breweries or beers from other parts of the country that are hard to come by locally.

Outside of that, cheap prices, and a good dive bar feel. Sports games. Pool tables. And tasty but unpretentious bar food. I can only take so much of the snobbery and high prices at many a local beer bar. No overpriced "gourmet" food with truffle oil at my bar!

Edit: As far as sports, preference goes to soccer and rugby. And baseball only if there's nothing else playing. Hah.

There's a place in Baton Rouge that does something like that. But there, I think dogs are welcome all day as long as they stay on the patio. Pretty sweet idea

Went to Mission Brewery on a day that happened to be for the SPCA or canine rescue, something like that, where dogs were invited. Dog hair everywhere (including in my beer once). That was the only problem I noticed, though.

No sports.

No TV's

Eccelctic alternative background music at a REASONABLE volume so that people can actually carry on conversations without having to shout to be heard.

I also like the iPod DJ night idea.

Beer lineup should be based on a few standard house ales (i.e. a mild, a session-strength bitter, a stronger ESB, a stout - maybe an oatmeal stout) with seasonal specials. The house ales should be cask conditioned.

A limited (i.e 10 - 15 at most) but very well thought out selection of other craft brews that compliment but not compete with the house ales

Local artists able to display their work.

Live music nights BUT it should consist of alterntive folk, classical, world, jazz, etc. NOT rock and roll and nothing that requires a significant amount of amplification.

Dogs are welcome.

Chessboards, cribbage and checkers available.

Food should emphasize quality over quantity, should not be "trendy", no dish should have "aged balsamic vinegar" as an ingredient, and cheese should not be an ingredient in the majority of dishes.

Mine would be just for me and my dogs. People could come from 11:00 to 5:00.

But they have to stay out on the patio.

Thanks for making me laugh at work. Now everyone is staring at me like I am drunk at work...again. :)

lou2row said:
What have you got against cheese? It's like the orange bacon.

...once a week, a one hour all-you-can eat bacon buffet and velveeta fountain.

Ok, i'm retracting velveeta fountain, that just made me gag

What have you got against cheese? It's like the orange bacon.

I like cheese (except for goat cheese) but it seems like EVERY offering at every chain restaurants and many other restaurants has cheese on it. Fish, chicken, beef, pork, veggies - every gosh darned plate is smothered with cheese. I'm surprised they don't put cheese on the desserts - chocolate cake with melted cheddar, hot fudge sundaes with shredded colby jack... or in the drinks - coke and smoked gouda floats, Gran Marnier maragaritas with artisanal goat cheese.... The wonderful taste of cheese is a convenient cover for the poor to mediocre food these places are putting out.

I like cheese (except for goat cheese) but it seems like EVERY offering at every chain restaurants and many other restaurants has cheese on it. Fish, chicken, beef, pork, veggies - every gosh darned plate is smothered with cheese. I'm surprised they don't put cheese on the desserts - chocolate cake with melted cheddar, hot fudge sundaes with shredded colby jack... or in the drinks - coke and smoked gouda floats, Gran Marnier maragaritas with artisanal goat cheese.... The wonderful taste of cheese is a convenient cover for the poor to mediocre food these places are putting out.

It sounds like you have given these dishes some serious thought...

Remember those really old pirate movies from the 30's? I'd want a bar that looks like the inside of the capt's quarters. Darkish, lots of wood, slightly nautical in theme.

The usual beers and such. I'd have a good lambic/sour beer selection for sure.

Specialize in french fries. Chili, bacon, loaded, cheesy etc. That and frozen pizza are your only choices for food.

Top flight fooseball tables, darts, good music at a reasonable volume (lots of Flogging Molly, The Tossers, Dubliners, Dropkick etc) and good looking female bartenders who are at the least certified beer servers via cicerone program. Was in a "beer bar" last week and none of the bartenders could tell me a dang thing about the beers I was trying. Well he did manage to tell me one was "from Flanders" - that's all he knew.

I'd have at least 2 beers on cask and rotate styles as much as possible.

I'd have a bar dog for sure too. Probably a yellow lab.

Back