Styles you've given up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know I posted this last year about 3 failed O-fests. I finally wised up and went w/ extract and kolsch yeast and it came out great. I have a fridge to lager, so my 2010 O-fest should be good to go, so I have come back to the style.

I think I am 1/7 or so on Pale Ales. The most recent one was a kit, and it's carbonating like garbage. I know that's not the style's fault, but I also am cursed with too much grapefruit flavor.

On top of that if I run to the grocery store there certainly is not a shortage to chose from.

Any styles you have given up on? I'm sure I'll come back to the IPA, APA type brews, but for now I have had enough.

I'm not making many more lagers. They still come out fine- but nobody is drinking them! I've had a Vienna lager on top since the beginning of March, and it's still not gone. It's good, but it's not my first choice when I walk over to the kegerator, and Bob barely touches it.

If I make more lagers, I'll stick with the bock styles, I think. The lighter lagers seem to last forever around here. Even a pilsner won't go as fast as an IPA or APA. I'm making IPAs and APAs in 10 gallons now, just to keep up.

I've given up American Wheat and Wheats altogether basically. Won't brew them or buy them. Just not a fan of the style. I'll brew a Wit all summer long though.

Back