Question about primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblvsn

Reaction score
Got my first batch of Porter sitting in the primary fermenter going on day 9. Question I have is there is still a layer of kraeusen sitting on the top of the beer. Is this typical and ready to be racked to the secondary or should I let it sit for a couple more days and settle out?

Cheers all! :mug:

There is absolutely no way to tell if an ale is finished except with a hydrometer, but if the krausen hasn't fallen it is still actively fermenting. Brewing without a hydrometer is a little like golfing without holes. Just getting to the green doesn't mean you're done. The end game really matters.

Thanks David_42. The comment you made about if there is kraeusen on top that its still fermenting got me to thinking about what I've read in a few books. And I think I figured out what is going on. The temperature in my house has cooled down a couple degrees the past few days. Thermostat reads 69 degrees in my house and the thermometer on the side of my fermenter reads 68-69 degrees as well. When the primary was churning and bubbling the most was at a temperature of about 74 degrees, so I put a heater next to the closet its sitting in to bump the temperature up a couple degrees and voila! I have bubbles in my airlock again! The top seems to be clearing off a little more as well. Appreciate the help!

Cheers All! :mug:

Back