Help with all grain recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
Hello I am trying to convert a recipe in our database from 5.5 gallons to 2.75 gallons. Basically all I did was reduce all ingrediants by 50 percent except the yeast. I've been entering my data into beersmith and just wanted to run my numbers by someone here to make sure everything is ok. I'm still fairly new to this and have never altered a recipe before.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1010
Yeast Starter: Activator Pack
Batch Size (Gallons): 2.75
Original Gravity: 1.045
Final Gravity: 1.009
IBU: 16.3
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 3.7
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 65F

Ingredients
.5 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 9.09 %
3.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 54.55 %
2.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 36.36 %
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
.5 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
0.125 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.125 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010) Yeast-Ale

Mash 8.25q water at 154 60 minutes.

Does this recipe look ok? Beersmith is telling me that I'll have a 3.15 gallon boil size for the 2.75 gallon batch, is that correct? Sorry for the questions, I brewed my first few batches about a year ago i guess, sold all my stuff and am now starting back. Thanks for any help.

Depending on what your boil-off rate is, that's probably not going to be a big enough boil size. In a 7.5 gal turkey fryer pot, I normally boil-off 1.5-1.75 gallons in about 70-75 minutes. I entered this into Beer Alchemy and allowing for collecting 3.75 gallons
and boiling down to 2.75 my numbers are Pre-Boil Grav - 1.036, OG - 1.049, FG - 1.011.
With a mash in volume of 2.gallons and a sparge of 2.36 Gallons.

If you are already using beersmith, use the scale feature to adjust the recipe fro you automaticaly.

From the recipe view, highlight the recipe, then click the scale button in the toolbar.
In the new window, enter the new numbers for your changes, and it will scale the entire recipe to your new batch size. Easy and accurate.

Does this recipe look ok? Beersmith is telling me that I'll have a 3.15 gallon boil size for the 2.75 gallon batch, is that correct?

Beersmith, unfortunately, does boiloff by % of volume, when in reality, its a constant, and is more related to the dimensions of the pot than anything else.

If you want 2.75g post boil, and you normally boil off 1 gallon in an hour with 5 gallon batches, you want 3.75g now.

thanks for the info, anyone know a ballpark figure on how many gallons/per hour boil off in a 5 gallon stainless steel pot? ty for info again

Back