Want to Make Dragon's Blood.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viking_Warrior

Reaction score
I ordered a bottle of this and loved it, want to make my own and was wondering what I need to make a 5 gallon batch? :)

Here's what I found through Google:

Dragons Blood Ale From : [email protected] (Bob Christner)

For a 5 gallon batch:

3lbs of Amber DME
2.5 Lbs Dark DME
1lb Light dry DME
1lb crystal malt (60L)
1/2 oz Northern brewer pellets
2.5 oz cascade plugs
1 pkg Glenbrew brewers special (ale yeast)
3/4 cup dextrose for priming

start by steeping grains (156F) for 30 min in 1/2 gallon water
sparge with another 1/2 gallon at ~ 170F
pitch yeast to starter
start boil bring initial water volume to 2 gal
add DME and northern brewer pellets
boil 30 min and add 1oz cascade
boil 20 min add 1oz cascade
turn off heat and add 1/2 oz cascade
cool wort and strain into fermenter
at 75F pitch yeast
primary ferment for 6 days
rack to secondary for 10 days
prime and bottle
OG 1.058
FG 1.009
This brew really caught me off guard (it came about as I consolidated the leftovers (DME) from a number of batches which did not use all 3 lbs of DME. The resulting brew was a real surprise (a pleasant one)). The color was a very dark wine red (Dragon blood) and the taste was as smooth as can be the brew cleared mostly in the secondary I think if I added sour cherries to the wort (and cut back on the hops) I would have something special here. All in all this was a great beer, a little heavy for my normal consumption though.

gregg ([email protected]) reports: great recipe! got me a B+ in a Beer tasting and it was only my 4th beer brewed!

Because if not, I found this one too:

U2M - Dragon's Blood
Brewed: April 3, 1997 Bottled: September 11, 1997
Talisman Farms raspberries make a tasty melomel.

Ingredients:

about 4 pounds Stahl's wildflower honey (last of container)
6.25 pounds Madhava wildflower honey
10 pounds red raspberries from Diane Dunn (1996 crop - fresh frozen)
1/4 t Irish Moss
5 t yeast nutrient
Eldorado Springs water - enough for 5 gallons
5 gm packet of Lalvin EC1118 yeast

Yeast was pre-started on April 2, 1997 (in the morning) with 2 cups water, 1/2 cup honey and 1 T yeast starter.

Heated honey with water to 170 F. Added Irish Moss and skimmed some scum. Added yeast nutrient and raspberries. Brought temp back up to 150 F and put the must chiller into the kettle. Then brought it up to 160 or 170 F and kept hot for 10 minutes. Cooled, poured into bucket. Water added to make just over 5 gallons. Pitched yeast. Stired and stored with a bubble lock.

April 17, 1997 - Racked, SG 1.001
September 11, 1997 - SG 0.998, Bottled.

Sorry for the late reply, my computer died :( But thank you for these recipes! This will be awesome. Though I am not sure I am skilled enough to brew beer just yet :p

Sorry for the late reply, my computer died :( But thank you for these recipes! This will be awesome. Though I am not sure I am skilled enough to brew beer just yet :p
I have been trying to find a recipe for Flowers Dragons Blood, a 1950's English beer. It that what your recipe a clone of?

Latest posts

Back