first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haphash

Reaction score
I am completly new to homebrewing and I am looking to make a couple gallons of mead tommorow. I am planning on using the method that involves gallon jugs with a baloon over the opening. In the recipe I read, it says that in addition to 3lbs of honey, water, and then yeast, that you must add a sliced up orange and raisins. The recipe says it is food for the yeast. Do I have to add oranges and raisins? I was thinking about making a cinnamon/clove mead now so it wil be good by the holidays. Also, how much would honey be at WalMArt/Sam's Club/GFS? Please answers ASAP because I am trying to get a batch started tommorow. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

I am completly new to homebrewing and I am looking to make a couple gallons of mead tommorow. I am planning on using the method that involves gallon jugs with a baloon over the opening. In the recipe I read, it says that in addition to 3lbs of honey, water, and then yeast, that you must add a sliced up orange and raisins. The recipe says it is food for the yeast. Do I have to add oranges and raisins? I was thinking about making a cinnamon/clove mead now so it wil be good by the holidays. Also, how much would honey be at WalMArt/Sam's Club/GFS? Please answers ASAP because I am trying to get a batch started tommorow. Any tips are greatly appreciated.
Unlike grape musts, honey has no national value other than the sugar content. So it needs the micro nutrients from the raisins, Orange etc.

It sounds like you're using the JAOM/Joes ancient orange recipe. I'd suggest you search for it and follow it as closely as you can, as its probably the easiest one to make for the new mead maker, both technique/method and ingredient-wise.

Welp. Cant answer your honey price question. What i can say is when i did my 1 gallon batch of mead for the first time, i didnt use either raisins or oranges. You can buy yeast nutrient at most homebrew shops, which is what i used the first time. It worked ok, but not as well as the raisins did the next time i brewed it. It didnt impart much flavor on the mead, but it seemed to help keep the yeast happy. What kind of yeast are you using?

You certainly dont need oranges and raisins to make mead, but you will probably want some form of nutrient.

Hash,
1) Tampa has a couple brew supply stores (Booth's Brewing and Southern Brewing), go to one. Instead of the "balloon method" you can buy the rubber stopper and air lock for less than $3. They also probably sell bulk honey for cheap (mine sells 1 gal for $25 of local honey).
2) A quick search of wal-mart and sam's website tells you their pricing.
3) As stated above, you will need some nutrient if not adding the other ingedients... The above mentioned stores will carry the nutrients.
4) "Please answers ASAP" -FYI, This hobby is not for those in a hurry.
5) Good luck!

You'll want to use good yeast too. At the strength you'll be mixing Lalvin D47 would be a good choice. Also get some yeast energizer, fermax and/or fermaid for nutrient for the yeast. Use the amount recommended per gallon (it's on the container) and you'll be off to a good start.

IMO/IME, a 14% mead won't be ready for glass in <6 months. It might be drinkable, but it will be meh at best. Making mead is NOT for those who are in a rush. Patience is critical here.

Latest posts

Back