Hoegaarden/WLP400 fermentation times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I have a 1.054 OG belgian whitbier that I am fermenting with the hoegaarden strain that I bottle captured. After over two weeks in the primary I am only down to about 1.024. I still have krausen, but tons of yeast have floculated. I am at 72 degrees fermenting.

Has anybody else noticed this yeast to be SLOW!!??? I was hoping to have this in the bottle after a week.

No it should not take that long and 1.024 is way too high to be done. Slow to flocculate but not slow to ferment.

Is this AG? What was the mash temp?

I assume you stepped up the yeast with starters. How big a starter did you pitch into what size batch?

No it should not take that long and 1.024 is way too high to be done. Slow to flocculate but not slow to ferment.

Is this AG? What was the mash temp?

I assume you stepped up the yeast with starters. How big a starter did you pitch into what size batch?

All grain, mashed at 151 pitched two liter starter that I stepped up from 1/2 quart over the course of a week and a half. I did this one by the books.....

I let the propagation phase take place at 67 degrees, then ramped up to 72.

It's possible that they used a lager strain to carbonate the beer in the bottles.

I have never brewed a lager before or witnessed a lager fermentation, but I can tell you that that I do have krausen, and it appears to be a normal belgian ale yeast fermentation....visually.

after 3 weeks this beer finished at 1.009....this yeast is a slow worker.

For the record, the beer tastes not so good out of the fermenter, it tastes like plastic or something...fermented in glass though.

Yep, WLP400 is really a slow worker. But it gets the job done!

I brewed Papazian's Who's in the garden grand cru ale with this yeast strain. I had kraeusen for about 3 weeks and a half. I got it to a FG of 1.005 (when I aimed 1.013, for the recipe I was following...). It was estimated at 1.013 too (with the average attenuation), but I guess WLP400 doesn't care about estimation ;).

I just did a wit that took a good two weeks to ferment down. The krausen hung around for a long time, I had a blow off tube on this thing for the duration. If I had temp control it might have been different but as it got warmer during the day the krausen would grow.

I'm currently using this yeast and I have krausen at 18 days. This is this longest I've ever seen it last.

Freezer temp set to 65F.

It's very fine yeast that won't clump together. The finer and less clumpy the more it can be suspended by CO2 dissolved in solution.

Usually a good shaking of the fermenter will knock it down.

CROSS POSTED

Latest posts

Back