Wyeast 3787 Trappist Lag time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignion

Reaction score
Hi all,

I brewed my first Tripel last weekend and pitched one pack of Wyeast 3787. It's been sitting around 69-70 F for 5 days with no sign of fermentation. This is my first brew done with a smack pack so of course I had difficulty determining if the nutrient pouch had broken. After 3-4 hrs the pack had not inflated so I decided to pitch anyway rather than get frustrated and risk rupturing the pack attempting to break the nutrient pouch.

After pitching I retrieved the nutrient pouch, sanitized it and then added the solution to the carboy.

Notes:

Smack pack was ordered to the west coast from northern brewer. It was cool when I received it and it went right into the fridge. Has anyone had bad luck ordering liquid yeast that has to travel such a distance? (MN to WA)

I haven't added my candy sugar yet so as not to overwhelm the yeast with too much simple sugar. (Hat tip to the Jamil Show)

So my question is am I impatient or is it safe to assume the pitch has failed and its time to swing by the local homebrew shop for more yeasties?

Thanks Guys

As long as the pack didn't freeze, the yeast should be fine. Though, if you did not make a starter I wouldn't expect to have a very fast or vigorous fermentation right off. What was your OG and recipe? How well did you aerate your wort before pitching?

Chances are the yeast is fine, just taking a while to get established. I would wait a full week before considering to add more yeast.

I have only used 3787 once, but when i did i made i pretty large (~1 gallon) starter for a belgian dark strong (OG 1.105). But once i pitched it there was little to no lag time, i had bubbles within 2 hours and had to switch to a blow off hose the next morning. Its a pretty vigorous yeast once it gets started.

Even if the yeast you used was ok, it might still take a while to get started, and if it does i doubt you will get the attenuation you need. You severely under-pitched without activating the yeast. I would recommend getting another pack and making a large starter and then pitching that just to be safe.

Also, the first time i used a smack pack i had a hard time determining if it was open or not too. The way i usually do it now is try to locate the bubble in the pack, thats the nutrient pouch. Then i move that into a corner of the outer pouch, place it on the counter, and place the heel of my palm where the nutrient pouch is, and then start leaning onto it with my body weight until you feel it pop. Don't be afraid, it takes a good amount of pressure before it finally pops.

I have brewed 10 batches with the Activator Smak Pak

I love them. the key is to smak and wait to see if it starts to bulge (2 to 5 hours for me) if it doesn't, then dont brew.

I have had only one go south. if the package is bulging then brew and the lag times are way low for me.

And yes i learned the hard way on the one that didnt bulge. I started brewing before waiting, I ended up at the brew store getting another why wondering if the batch was going sour after a few days.

Latest posts

Back