Aquarium pump for wort chill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunnyW

Reaction score
looking at this pump to force ice water through 30 plate chiller.

Do I spend the $20 on this, or save my pennies for a march pump?

A march pump can pump 7.2 gallons per minute, this pump can pump almost 4 which is fine for cooling. I vote yes, use this pump. However... for pumping wort, you are going to need the march.

However... you are going to have to rig it somehow as this pump needs to be submerged.

sorry, I meant THIS one...

If I figured correctly it should pump almost 5 gal/min (4.9). The only thing I'm worried about is how much pressure it can hold up to. Is it going to burn out by trying to force 5 gal/min through a 30 plate chiller? I plan on having my ice water in a large bucket/cooler, placing the pump in the vessel and run tubing up to the chiller and allowing the wort to gravity drain down to the fermentor.

Of particular note is :

Features:
High performance with low power consumption
May be used externally or submerged
Waterproof rotating water outlet <---will I even be able to attach a tube to this?
Silent, versatile, low maintenance
Protected motor will not overheat
UL Approved
Directional Flow Flap
Can be connected to 5/8" Flexible Tubing <---- I was thinking this meant I could, but I think that's for the intake, not output...

I need help...

sorry, I meant THIS one...

If I figured correctly it should pump almost 5 gal/min (4.9).

Same one you linked above.

And where did you get your calculator, the toilette store? j/k

At 230 gallons per hour it will pump 3.8 gallons per minute, not 5. Still, this is fine for chilling. The only problem you will encounter is that this pump needs to be submerged in the liquid you are pumping and will also have to fashion a hose around the outlet, which is not built to accommodate a hose. I am sure it can be done.

the pump I am looking at is the maxijet 1200PH with an output of 295 gph
(295 / 60 = 4.9).

I'm sure it will work, I just hate spending 20 bucks on something that will likely not last and end up having to spend the $150+ on a march pump anyway. I'll just stick with the faucet for now.

You'll be disappointed. That 295 gph is an exagerated estimate based on zero head pressure... that's no output restriction including any rise in height. You'll be lucky to get 1 gpm through the plate chiller.

I'd look for something with 500GPH or better with a threaded or barbed outlet.

For $30 Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
For $40 Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices and it comes with a garden hose adapter.

Maximum capacity: 1400 gallons per hour (23 gallons per minute)

****. I am buying one and using this 40 gallon pail I have. Fill that with water from the hose and ice from my fridge (i have about 20 ice trays) and I will be pumping near freezing water through my 50 foot chiller. I bet I can get 6 gallons down to pitching temp in 5-10 minutes at that rate.

Good find.

Back