Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aryiman

Reaction score
I was looking around at a mill because it will make things easier for me. I have been looking at Crankandstein and I was curious which one would be best for me. I guess I don't know the difference between all of them. These look like they are the best mills out there. If anyone else has another option for a mill will they let me know? Thanks

Mills : crankandstein.net

There is the link to the mills.

Monster Mills also appear to be very nice. Welcome to Monster Brewing Hardware

I have a JSP Maltmill "P" (pre-set) and it's not bad, but I bought it because it was available in-town on the day I wanted it. If I did it over again, I would've researched and got a more robust/adjustable mill.

OK I'll be the black sheep, runt of the litter, etc., etc.

I bought this corona knock off from ebay:

High Hopper CAST IRON GRAIN CORN Mill Grinder $ave!! - eBay (item 120302026398 end time Sep-11-08 16:00:00 PDT)

Remove the handle and thread a headless bolt into the grinding shaft, chuck it to an old 1/2 drill and you got a fearless mill for forty bucks.

Yes, I realize the downside to these red headed step child mills, but nonetheless I am vey pleased.

I'm sure all the roller mills work well! JSP, Monstermills, Crankenstein. The Barley Crusher is well recieved and comes ready to mill:
http://www.barleycrusher.com/index.php

The crankenstein you linked above seems like a great value for $67 plus shipping, but be aware you will have to fabricate a base and hopper.

ps. I'd like to thank both FlyGuy and bradsul for their informative posts regarding Corona Mills.

Mike

Monster and Crankandstein are very similar, a consequence of a corporate divorce that has two guys building essentially the same design. I chose by price. I bought the Monster because it had a better price for a 1/2" shaft and stainless rollers. Delivery was amazingly fast.

As you look around you will find most guys & gals quite satisfied with whatever they bought, except for the Corona, which has its share of negative posts. From wilserbrewer's post you can see that they can still be made to work adequately. I did find some posts about JSP mills that sounded like they had been worn down, but that was at LHBS's. None are really built for commercial use. However, I think I will have a hard time wearing out my Monster. I look forward to trying!

No matter what you get make sure it is adjustable. If you plan to handcrank, the barley crusher is nice bacause it comes with a handle and is ready to grind out of the box. But if you don't mind building your own hopper and base you can save money by getting just a set of rollers. I went this way so I could build it just the way I wanted and I also knew I was going to motorize it. If you plan to motorize it in the future get a mill with a half inch drive shaft.

The only advantage I see in the crankandstein over the monster mill is that you can get a base and hopper. Otherwise the monster mill has longer rollers and costs less money.

I think that most any roller mill you choose will do everything you want. The Monster Mills sound great, but as said before you will have to make a base and hopper. I have the adjustable JSP and am happy. I see in a previous post someone mentioned JSP's wearing out their rollers. I know that my warranty that came with mine said they would replace the rollers if they ever wore out. One thing that I am not having a problem with, but will mention is the front and the rear of the JSP are approx 1/8" hardboard. Most other mill frames are all metal.

Back