O.J. in secondary: whaddya think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shecky

Just an old guy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a summer ale fermenting away vigorously, modeled after Sam Summer. Put 1 oz. of dried lemon peel and seeds of paradise in for the final five minutes of the boil. I didn't detect much citrus flavor from the sample for the hydrometer reading, but maybe that will come with time.

If it doesn't, I was thinking of adding 1/4 cup of O.J. to the secondary. Opinions. Will it overpower the lemon? Or is it a bad combination? I like some lemon with my o.j. to give it a little sour kick but I'm not sure how this will work.

Thanks for the help.

No, no, no, no, no. OJ + BEER = EVIL. And it's got nothing to do with overpowering anything...it's just plain nasty. Have you ever had that nasty OJ from a frozen concentrate in a can? How about after it's been sitting out on the counter for 3 days? Yeah, that's what your beer will taste like.

Most of the flavor exists in the rind (skin), so, if I were you, and I wanted more citrus, here's what I'd do: go to the grocery store and get 2 or 3 navel oranges and maybe a couple lemons. Using a microplane or the very fine side of your box cheese grater, completely zest all the fruit, making sure to only get the top layer that has the color pigment---the white pith beneath it will make your beer more astringent/bitter. Take all that zest and boil it in a bit of water for 15 mins or so. Cool it down with an ice bath and then strain it into your beer.

If you've ever found an old glass of OJ that's been sitting out for a few days.... it's aroma is EXACTLY like vomit. Just sayin'...

Well, OK then. No O.J.:cross:

That's why I love this place. Unvarnished opinions that only help.

Evan, thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a whirl or just go with what I have and see how it turns out.

Learned something new today. Guess I can skip work and call it a complete day.

I could get an extract, but I'm a little leery of those. Guy at the LHBS said they can be on the strong side. I'd rather go all natural if possible.

I used 5 lemons just like evan said for the last 10 min of boil for my last recipe, it has a strong lemon nose, which adds to the strong flavor too. Evan's advice sounds spot on. good luck with the brew, now Im hankering for a few Sam Summers......

Another option is to use a citrusy hop either in the main recipe or as a dry-hop addition. While dry hops are for aroma, the aroma gives the perception of taste. Amarillo gives a nice orange aroma and flavor.

make a strong 'tea' from corriander 'seeds' you have lightly crushed. that'll impart a citrusy/fruity character.

or the zesting idea. def. wouldn't add a bunch of OJ to the fermented beer...namely the added sugar means renewed fermentation, not to mention acidity, and that it just isn't gonna retain the citrus you seek.

Back