reading about makgeolli is often horrendous

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredthecat

The original homebrewer™.
Reaction score
reading about makgeolli almost always results in me finding awful technique, bizarre beliefs or all kinds of other things. here's an actual comment on a recipe that recommends drying off your steamed rice on top of a fan? (WHY?)
-before white knights come in, yeah i know that this recipe will result in alcohol, so will fermenting fruit trash and bread crusts.

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/makgeolli

"I made this and the result looks really good, but I am a little nervous about drinking a full “glass” as I’m unsure about the methanol level. In the video you said the fermentation process makes the alcohol about 15%. For home brewed/ fermented alcohol as long as it stays under 10% during the fermentation process, the methanol level should be safe for consumption.
But as it is higher than 10%, is there a way I can test for methanol or do you know the methanol level (before and after dilution)?
Also what is the effect of nuruk on the production of methanol?
And do you know how much methanol is produced in commercially produced makgeolli vs. home brewed?

Sorry for so many questions, but I am having a party this weekend and (as Methanol poisoning is a very serious matter, especially when it comes to home-brew/fermentation f alcohol) I want to make sure this is safe for my guests and myself to drink."

---if you believe there is methanol at all in it why are you drinking any? there is no safe amount of methanol to drink. what the hell?

-from a korean government recommended site on making makgeolli
" to break up those giant chunks of nuruk, you should use your hands. "

"After we uncovered it and took our first sips, we were a bit shocked at the sourness of the makgeolli, as were many of the people with whom we brewed."

yeah because you didnt temperature control it and you used your unsterilized hands. stop following stupid traditions that result in a pathetic tasting drink.

making makgeolli aside, buying it at the store is just as bad. every customer will get very excited about it describing it as "very traditional korean country drink" and feel quite proud of it. i've seen many bottles with as little as 12% actual rice, the rest of the fermentables being sugars, dextrose and other crap. then virtually every brand has an artificial sweetener added to it to balance out the sourness. i know of two brands im willing to purchase outside of extreme necessity, and one is really only half good.

Back