Fermenter for sake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrickar

Reaction score
So I see they have small carboys I could use, but I was digging through my equipment and saw my old brown plastic 'Mr Beer' fermenter, and was wondering if I could use that for a batch? I generally use glass, but the only small glass containers I have are jelly jars and growlers. Growlers have such a small opening, I was thinking a larger opening would be more convenient to add the ingredients.

I've just started a batch in a 5 gallon stoneware crock - I am using a paint strainer from Home Depot and cheesecloth over the top. I put the crock lid back on, with a little gap created by something I jammed between the lid and the crock to keep it open.
A few things I'm concerned about are:
  • The strainer cloth is plastic - not sure if the smell will leach into the liquid.
  • The cheesecloth isn't nearly perfectly covering - stuff could theoretically get in.
  • I can't see what is going on, so I'm waiting 3 weeks and crossing my fingers.
  • I couldn't shake it if I wanted to.

Back