Chrissy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrissy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi another fairly newbie here from nz can anyone give me a recipe for frozen ,,rhubarb 1and quarter kg. 1 kg strawberrys,,half kg mix berry ,, and half kg grapes I cut up put in freezer to. What else do I need to make a brew ,have yeast ,campden tablets ,nutrients , is there anything else and what is the best way to go about it cheers

:rockin::rockin:
Hi another fairly newbie here from nz can anyone give me a recipe for frozen ,,rhubarb 1and quarter kg. 1 kg strawberrys,,half kg mix berry ,, and half kg grapes I cut up put in freezer to. What else do I need to make a brew ,have yeast ,campden tablets ,nutrients , is there anything else and what is the best way to go about it cheers

:rockin::rockin:

There is a rule of thumb that 600 g fruit makes a litre of wine. With the ingredients that you have you can easily make a gallon flagon, or 5 litres.

Start out with any recipe involving rhubarb or berries.

Personally, I would thaw out all of the ingredients and then pour over them 5 litres of booiling 20% sugar solution. Let stand overnight and then filter through muslin or cloth. Then proceed as if you had grape juice.

Thanks Patrick , but you have a thick head here when do I add yeast ,and should I have a Camden tablet in that lot ,in other words could you run me through what you would do ,I've only done kits and have an apple and rosehips ,Hedgerow kit on the go now ,done mostly spirits up till now , a couple beer kits, now keen to do my own wine not sure where to start cheers

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Other people may give you different advice, but as far as I can see it is very difficult to stuff up winemaking.

The essence of winemaking is to make a delicious juice. The better the juice tastes the better your final wine. So do some variation on the method I originally suggested and when you get a yummy juice take it from there. I have lost more than one batch of potential wine because everybody wanted the juice. Once you have the juice it is just like with a kit. Throw in the yeast, either dry or after making a starter bottle and when you get a good sediment or a thick stable curd siphon the fermenting juice into an airlocked container and leave it until the weather warms next spring.

Winemaking is like cooking. You can indulge in all sorts of variation and still have something to show for it. Your mixture of ingredients is unconventional enough to raise eyebrows, but don't let that stop you.

Hi Chrissy, you might find this useful:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request.asp
Just scroll down for an alphabetical list of recipes.

Also, you might find these helpful:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0380782278/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
AND
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0937381802/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Regards, GF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Patrick , but you have a thick head here when do I add yeast ,and should I have a Camden tablet in that lot ,in other words could you run me through what you would do ,I've only done kits and have an apple and rosehips ,Hedgerow kit on the go now ,done mostly spirits up till now , a couple beer kits, now keen to do my own wine not sure where to start cheers

"Do you have a thick head" is not an appropriate response to someone who is trying to figure out what you are asking and trying to help.

Perhaps state your questions more clearly if you would like specific answers to specific questions, and please refrain from other remarks like the "thick head" comment. No one made a snide comment at your inability to formulate a properly worded question, and we would expect you to do the same.

This forum has rules, and while we are a rather laid back and genial bunch we will not tolerate name-calling or personal remarks. There are probably other forums out there that would be a better fit for you if you can't follow certain rules of conduct and behave in an appropriate manner.

Welcome to the forum Chrissy

Maybe "you have a thick head here" might be something that is said in Christchurch when someone doesn't understand the question or the question was un-understandable. Thats the way I took it anyway. Its hard to understand a different cultures particular slang unless youre immersed in that culture. On the other hand, if it was said with ill intentions then it should have been corrected.

Let us not combat insults with more insults though Yooper. That doesn't set a good example for the rest of the members of this forum to aspire to. To say "No one made a snide comment at your inability to formulate a properly worded question" is actually you making a snide comment about her use of the English language. Not everyone speaks(types) with a North American dialect.

Again, welcome aboard Chrissy

Chrissy, your mix sounds interesting. Please keep us advised as to how things are turning out. Fruit wines are wonderful. Keep your equipment clean and sanitized, your humor active and be willing to share with us your results. New brewer here wants to know.

Guys, before you get down on the poster, I do believe that Chrisy is referring to themselves as the one having a "thick head" meaning a little dense, that's why, the next part of the phrase is a direct question about when to add the yeast.

I think we would say something akin to "I'm a little dense with this wine stuff, when do you add the yeast?" or "I'm a little confused by all this, when do you add the yeast."

Or maybe, "You have someone with a thick head [here] Peter, when do you add..." or perhaps, "Peter, you're dealing with a person with a thick head here, please clarify as to when to add the yeast."

Methinks you're a little quick on the trigger here gang, I read the poster as being self-abasing, not attacking the answerer. The "you" who has a thick head they're referring to is themselves.

Maybe it's because I've been watching a lot of Masterchef Australia/New Zealand that I'm seeing the linguistic differences.

Guys, before you get down on the poster, I do believe that Chrisy is referring to themselves as the one having a "thick head" meaning a little dense, that's why, the next part of the phrase is a direct question about when to add the yeast.

I think we would say something akin to "I'm a little dense with this wine stuff, when do you add the yeast?" or "I'm a little confused by all this, when do you add the yeast."

Or maybe, "You have something with a thick head [here] Peter, when do you add..." or perhaps, "Peter, you're dealing with a person with a thick head here, please clarify as to when to add the yeast."

Methinks you're a little quick on the trigger here gang, I read the poster as being self-abasing, not attacking the answerer. The "you" who has a thick head they're referring to is themselves.

Maybe it's because I've been watching a lot of Masterchef Australia/New Zealand that I'm seeing the linguistic differences.

Oh, I totally misread that! You're right, and I am totally wrong.

I see what you are saying, and I must apologize profusely to the OP. I read it as an insult to someone else, and not in regards to themselves. I'm sorry for ME being thick-headed. I am very sorry!

Regardless, one of the gentlest ways of preparing a good juice, suitable for fermenting, is to cover the fruit with boiling sugar solution, 15% to 20%, and allow the flavours and colours to be extracted osmotically overnight. This is a good technique for both beginner and advanced wine making because the fruit is only blanched, avoiding evaporation of delicate aroma components, and avoiding solubilizing pectic acids and other things which will cause cloudy wine.

Thanks guys, sorry if I upset some people,, not intended, just meant that I needed more info ,and felt a bit slow as first try without kit,no nasty comment to others, will be more careful

Just having a look at Jack Kellars recipes sound Mmm but most have wine juice concentrate ,which believe it or not is a hard thing to find in nz is there any thing else that can be used to add to fruit

Just having a look at Jack Kellars recipes sound Mmm but most have wine juice concentrate ,which believe it or not is a hard thing to find in nz is there any thing else that can be used to add to fruit

I think that's "WHITE" grape juice frozen concentrate, not "wine" juice concentrate. Same thing as frozen orange juice concentrate, just with white grape juice instead of orange juice.

You should be able to find it in most grocery stores, it's pretty common.
http://www.welchs.com/products/conc...ozen/100-white-grape-juice-frozen-concentrate

If you can't find it, you could add chopped raisins. The most common raisins are actually made from white grapes. They'll add a bit of body, some sugar, a bit of acid & maybe a wee bit of tannin. Just pulse them a few times in a food processor & add them to the must with the rest of the fruit. A dose of pectic enzyme will help to break 'em down.
Regards, GF.

Can't buy that here went to town and brought some grapes ,read on google how to make concentrate so have ended up with 3cups so all good

I think that you might be able to get various fruit cordials? I've read that the British don't have frozen concentrate readily available either and they say that cordials are pretty much the same thing except theyre not frozen. Maybe this is available in NZ?

Thanks guys will keep you informed,just waiting to finish a Hedgegrow apple and rosehips first before I start my new project ,my wash has been on over two weeks now supposed to be finished but it's still bubbling really strong at moment (sorry if I offended some people,a was talking about myself being a bit slow on the uptake). Will have to be a bit more careful,,,,this is now a couple of weeks later all ready to bottle my apple and rosehips wine had stabilized and all set to go but hasn't cleared enough used kieslsol and chitosam still not clear put lid back on to give it more time and it's fermenting again. HELP

Hi smokey, haven't cordials got preservatives in them ? And really watered down ,didn't realize I can use them ,

Im not too sure, I'm in Canada so lots of frozen concentrate in the grocery store. I've just seen some youtube brewing videos from the UK that have mentioned that they use cordials instead of frozen concentrate juice in recipes calling for the frozen concentrate. Aren't the cordials just concentrated juice syrup? If they are, just dilute to the desired SG and then add yeast and ferment out. As for the preservatives, I'm not sure but you could probably find ones that don't have any.

Ok now I'm a little confused. Why search all over for grape juice when she has about a pound (half kilo) of grapes?

If it was my recipe I would thaw out the grapes, rhubarb and the strawberries and put in mesh bag. Pour over with 1 gallon (I think about 5 liters) of boiling water mixed with about a kilo of sugar and a teaspoon of nutrient. Crush a campden tablet and mix in. Let cool and wait at least 24 hours, then pitch yeast. Cover with airlock and watch bubble. Remove all fruit in about 5 days top up container and let finish ferment.

If you have a hydrometer just take readings as you go.

Sorry about the mixed measures.

Yep have hydrometer ,still learning that part ,that sounds good with the grapes nice and easy ,and most of our cordials we just add water thanks guys

Well started my rhubarb, and berry wine ,ended up with ,2kg Rhubarb, 2kg strawberrys ,2.half Kg mix berry. 1kg grapes. Have got all out of freezer put berries in bucket with campden tablet, rhubarb in separate bucket so can mash tomorrow , do I put hot water and sugar in ,desolve then add fruit , what else do I need to start apart from yeast please,

Well I used my Hydrometer and my berry wine was just under 1000 so racked it into a clean carboy but boy is it sour it has an alcohol taste,. think I will definitly have to back sweeten , I have been having a bit of a swat up on different sweetners ,? that sounds a bit confusing some say sugar syrup , another says honey , some even suggest stevia,, or a beer and wine sweetner with an introduction by Chris Reading,the directions for that say half tsp for 25 litres 500 times sweeter than sugar has anyone heard of this please and if so was it any good

Well I used my Hydrometer and my berry wine was just under 1000 so racked it into a clean carboy but boy is it sour it has an alcohol taste,. think I will definitly have to back sweeten , I have been having a bit of a swat up on different sweetners ,? that sounds a bit confusing some say sugar syrup , another says honey , some even suggest stevia,, or a beer and wine sweetner with an introduction by Chris Reading,the directions for that say half tsp for 25 litres 500 times sweeter than sugar has anyone heard of this please and if so was it any good

It will lose some of that tart sour flavor as it ages a bit.

Once it's completely clear, you can stabilize with sorbate and campden and sweeten with anything you'd like.

Some people love honey (I don't) and some people love fruit juice for sweetening- whatever your taste prefers is what is good to sweeten with.

There is a product called "wine conditioner" which has the stabilizers and the sweetener built in together. Some people like that, but I think it may be too sweet for me.

It's really up to you! Once the wine has aged about 60 days without any lees in the bottom of the carboy/demijohn, you could pull out a small sample and try various things. Sweeten some with some honey or simple syrup or fruit juice and taste. That's the best way to make the wine you like!

One tip- sweeten it to exactly how you like it and then use your hydrometer to measure your sample. If it's say, 1.012, and you love it there then you'll sweeten the whole batch to that SG by adding the sugar/juice/honey/whatever. The only thing to be aware of is that for some reason it seems to get sweeter a bit in the bottle. So, if you love it at that 1.012, sweeten the whole batch to just under that level, at 1.010.

Well I've finished my mixed berry and rhubarb wine ,and put it away to bring out in a few weeks ,to rack the lees off if need be ,tastes nice ,can taste the berries in there so hope that means that taste will come out more with time ,back sweetened with sugar syrup, but left it a bit tart so hopefully all good,,,, next project is beer not much of that left

Well I've finished my mixed berry and rhubarb wine ,and put it away to bring out in a few weeks ,to rack the lees off if need be ,tastes nice ,can taste the berries in there so hope that means that taste will come out more with time ,back sweetened with sugar syrup, but left it a bit tart so hopefully all good,,,, next project is beer not much of that left

If you sweetened it, it probably will keep fermenting. You don't want to sweeten it for a good long time yet, until after it's completely clear and longer dropping lees, and has been properly stabilized.

Had a look at my berry wine and no bubbles (so far )after back sweetening to early, that's over 24hrs is that a good sign?

Well, maybe, maybe not. Next time, don't be in a rush to do anything. Let it sit at least 60 days before doing anything else. That will really help. You can rack in 60 days if you have lees, but otherwise it is best left alone to finish up and clear so that the yeast will fall to the bottom.

Had a look Yooper ,and it looks like there is a very fine bit of dusting at the bottom of fermenter still no bubbles as yet ?

Don't worry about bubbles- just keep it out of the light in a cool place (but not cold, say 18-21C) and check it in 60 days. Then rack to a new vessel, top up (but with wine, or water) and check it again in 60 days. It might be ready to stabilize by then.

Back