Critique my Ginger and Sorachi Ace Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

603Brew

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I posted this in the Extract forum, but I figured I would try here as well and see if I get more responses...here we go:

Hi Everyone,

My LHBS has some Sorachi Ace in stock, so I was thinking of brewing up something using this hop. I like the idea of a Saison for this one, what do you think of this recipe?

5lb Pilsner DME
1lb Wheat DME

0.50oz Sorachi Ace (60 min)
1oz Sorachi Ace (20 min)
0.50oz Sorachi Ace (5 min)

1oz Fresh Ginger (5 min, or flameout)
1 Whirlfloc Tablet (5 min)

Saison Yeast, either Wyeast or White Labs

I am looking for something light in color, light in ABV (4-6%), that really lets the hops and ginger shine.

What do you think? Too much/too little hops? Too much/too little ginger? Should I add any specialty grains?

I've never brewed a Saison...

Thanks!

I like the idea of sorachi ace and ginger - I'll probably do something like that myself this summer. What's the predicted IBU for this? I might cut back on the bittering hops a little bit (depends on what the %AA is for these, but sorachi ace are usually in the 10-15% sort of range). I think saisons usually taste a little more bitter than their IBUs would tell you, and I personally like them in the 20-25 IBU sort of range.

You also may want to add sugar of some sort to dry out the finish a bit - particularly since this is an extract batch and will likely finish with a highish FG. Ginger level looks ok, but this is kind of a personal taste thing. I'd probably use less (maybe 0.25-0.5oz) since I like a more subtle effect, but some people would use more.

I like the idea of sorachi ace and ginger - I'll probably do something like that myself this summer. What's the predicted IBU for this? I might cut back on the bittering hops a little bit (depends on what the %AA is for these, but sorachi ace are usually in the 10-15% sort of range). I think saisons usually taste a little more bitter than their IBUs would tell you, and I personally like them in the 20-25 IBU sort of range.

You also may want to add sugar of some sort to dry out the finish a bit - particularly since this is an extract batch and will likely finish with a highish FG. Ginger level looks ok, but this is kind of a personal taste thing. I'd probably use less (maybe 0.25-0.5oz) since I like a more subtle effect, but some people would use more.

Thanks for the feedback : )

I need to check the % on the pellets when I get home, but playing around with brewersfriend and taking your advice I think you're right on the amount. Here is what I got changing the bittering around:

5lb Pilsen DME
1lb Wheat DME
0.5lb Corn Sugar

0.25oz Sorachi Ace (60 min)
1oz Sorachi Ace (30 min)
0.25oz Sorachi Ace (15 min)
0.75oz Fresh Ginger (5 min)

OG: 1.055
FG: 1.012
ABV: 5.63%
IBU: 33.15 (I might reduce the bittering or flavor hops even more to reduce this...)

Yes, your bittering hops are a little high. The traditional BU:GU ratio is slightly under .5 and you are at .6 now. Not totally out of line but becasue saisons do usually dry out the bittering is more noticable.

Since you are using extract I would suggest 3711 for yeast. Since you have no control over mash temp, 3711 will get it to finish pretty low.

Depends on how fresh/strong your ginger is will determine how much to use. I did an ginger/lemmongrass saison a couple of years ago. I just looked at my notes. I used 1 oz. finely chopped ginger @ 10 minutes in a hop bag and took them out after cool down. My notes say that it was good but the ginger was slightly too strong. If the ginger is very fresh you can even cut it back a little more depending on how much ginger flavor you want.

Yes, your bittering hops are a little high. The traditional BU:GU ratio is slightly under .5 and you are at .6 now. Not totally out of line but becasue saisons do usually dry out the bittering is more noticable.

Since you are using extract I would suggest 3711 for yeast. Since you have no control over mash temp, 3711 will get it to finish pretty low.

Depends on how fresh/strong your ginger is will determine how much to use. I did an ginger/lemmongrass saison a couple of years ago. I just looked at my notes. I used 1 oz. finely chopped ginger @ 10 minutes in a hop bag and took them out after cool down. My notes say that it was good but the ginger was slightly too strong. If the ginger is very fresh you can even cut it back a little more depending on how much ginger flavor you want.

Great advice, thank you I appreciate it! I'll dial back on the bittering and ginger (I think I'll try 0.50oz if it's decent ginger - I'd rather have too little than too much). Good to know about the 3711. :mug:

I think I'll try 0.50oz if it's decent ginger - I'd rather have too little than too much

That is probably a good amount. I like my spicing to be more subtle and not overpowering.

For saisons with new school hops, I've been doing just a bittering addition and then late hopping starting at 15 or 10 minutes, with the majority at flameout.

I've used ginger in saison twice now. I wanted a subtle spiciness and used about 3g per batch.

Hey Everyone,

Thank you again for the feedback and advice. I brewed this one on Saturday, here is what I ended up going with:

0.25lb Carapils Steep @ 155F for 20 Minutes

5lbs Pilsner DME
1lb Wheat DME
3oz Corn Sugar (45 min)

0.25oz Sorachi Ace (60 min)
0.50oz Sorachi Ace (30 min)
0.25oz Sorachi Ace (15 min)
0.75oz Fresh Ginger (5 min)
1 Whirlfloc Tablet (15 min)
2tsp Yeast Nutrient (5 min)

Wyeast French Saison 3711 yeast

Boil Size: 3 Gallon
Topped off to 5 Gallons in Fermentor

OG: 1.06

This was my first batch that I noticed a good amount of Cold Break when transfering from my kettle to fermentor :/ Oh well. I have it in a closet in one of my backrooms which stays a bit warmer than the rest of the house and have it fermenting via a Blow Off tube.

Anything to fear about the Cold Break? I was freaking out about it a bit on Brew Day as I had never seen anything like it...my gravity reading looked like it had small clouds forming. Other than that I'm pretty excited - overshot my OG somehow, I guess it won't be quite as sessionable as I had hoped for...

Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back