water temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A-Juice

Reaction score
First time wine maker here. Planing to make the midwest vintners reserve coastal red juice kit.

When mixing the water and the bentonite in the first step, the instructions call for hot water.

When rinsing the juice remnants from the bag, the instructions call for warm water.

When topping the initial mix to 6 gallons, the instructions call for cool water.

Can anyone define these three waters with a temperature range?

I am thinking that I should heat cool water to a temp of 140 or so for hot water. Too hot to put your hands in.

I am thinking that warm water is not hot enough that you cant put your hands in it but almost. Mostly useful to loosen up the stuck juice in the bag. Not critical to the results.

and I am thinking that cool water is used to try to get the final mix to target yeast pitching temp.

Also, I assume that hot and warm water should come from heating cold water and that using hot water from a tank water heater would be a bad idea.

Let me know what y'all do in this regard.

Thanks.

A-Juice said:
First time wine maker here. Planing to make the midwest vintners reserve coastal red juice kit.

When mixing the water and the bentonite in the first step, the instructions call for hot water.

When rinsing the juice remnants from the bag, the instructions call for warm water.

When topping the initial mix to 6 gallons, the instructions call for cool water.

Can anyone define these three waters with a temperature range?

I am thinking that I should heat cool water to a temp of 140 or so for hot water. Too hot to put your hands in.

I am thinking that warm water is not hot enough that you cant put your hands in it but almost. Mostly useful to loosen up the stuck juice in the bag. Not critical to the results.

and I am thinking that cool water is used to try to get the final mix to target yeast pitching temp.

Also, I assume that hot and warm water should come from heating cold water and that using hot water from a tank water heater would be a bad idea.

Let me know what y'all do in this regard.

Thanks.

For the bentonite, the hottest tap water you can get will work. The heat activates the bentonite.

Warm water, think bathtub warm, helps dissolve the remaining juice in the bag.

Cool water, room temp is fine.

Bentonite can be a bear to mix with water, I hit it with hot abs let it soak, then beat the crap out of it.

Back