ritchies red grape concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooney

Reaction score
Any one ever used this stuff?

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Ritchies_500ml_Red_concentrate.html#.UM2n5KMRcyE

I stuck a 250ml bottle in to a mead to see what happened, it started of a deep dark red and now a week in to fermentation its starting to pink up a little, I know allot of the colour of wine is to do with whether or not you have skins in the primary. This being a concentrate am I going to loose all the colour out the air lock? Well I'll find out, 5l didn't cost much;

1.34kg rowes set honey from Costco was about £5 and this stuff was £6 on Ebay. chucked it together witty Youngs champagne yeast, nutrients, a hand full of raisins and some pectic enzyme cos I was not sure if it was needed with juice? But why not? Oh also chucked in 2 cups of earl grey because It was left in my tea pot. I ,guess you would call it a pyment?
O.G. 1.088

ForumRunner_20121216_115433.jpg

Quite surprising how much of a bleaching effect primary fermentation is, isn't it.

The pigment isn't escaping out the airlock, you'll find that the lees is a red/pink colour when it comes to racking off it.

I presume it's just that the action of the fermentation separates the pigment from the flavour molecules and some of it drops out with the yeast.

If it ferments dry, just use some more of the concentrate to back sweeten and you'll restore some of the colour, or just back sweeten with honey and live with the fact that you've got a nice rose'

Yep well it fermented fast, 0.995 today so racked and its under the floor. Must be plenty of nutrients in that grape concentrate. Tastes good to me, i'm a big red wine fan so I'll see how this is in a 6 months and might have to scale it up for another batch. Could see this being very drinkable quick.

Yeah I'm normally a red drinker too. Hence the 18 gallons of pyment I made last year with fresh wine grape. Which is now sitting, clearing with some oak staves in the fermenters......

Back