Smokey the Beer (Smoked IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastenova

Reaction score
Smokey the Beer (Smoked IPA)
Extract w/ Specialty Grains
-----------------------------

Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Boil Size: 4 gallons
OG: 1.049
FG: 1.012
ABV: 4.96%
IBU: 78
SRM: 9.20
-----------------------------

Fermentables:
2 lb Light LME
4 lb Light LME (Late Addition)
1 lb Crystal 60L
1 lb Smoked Malt (German)

Hops:
.5 oz Magnum (60)
.5 oz Magnum (45)
.5 oz Crystal (30)
.5 oz Willamette (30)
.5 oz Crystal (15)
.5 oz Willamette (15)
.5 oz Crystal (5)
.5 oz Willamette (5)
.5 oz Crystal (1)

Yeast: White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP-001) w/ 1.5L stirplate starter, decanted

Going to make this beer today or tomorrow. I just made a stirplate and tested it with some washed yeast, and now I (obviously) need to do something with this yeast that I have prepared! Just made up the recipe, hop additions are based off a past IPA that used different hops but came out great. I love the smell and taste of Crystal hops in my beers and they have become one of my favorite hops, and have a lot of Willamettes and Crystals in my freezer that need to be used up. I'm hoping the full lb of smoked malt isn't too much, but I think the hoppiness will overwhelm the smoke quite a bit, so it should be noticable but not strong.

Oops, I haven't brewed this yet, please delete. I reposted in Recipes/Ingredients forum. Sorry!

Not to revive a dead thread, but how did this come out?? Was it overpowering? Did you secondary with chips or anything like that?

Back