First making a wild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rau71

Reaction score
So I brewed yesterday (a mild pale ale) and had some extra wort, I decided to dilute it with water and get about 2 gallons of wort and spontaneously ferment. I added a pound of raspberries to get the OG to about 1.042. I have another lb of raspberries to add later. My questions are when should I close the lid and let this wild ale do its thing, and when should I add the 2nd pound of raspberries? I know this really isn't a real beer style but I decided it was a good opportunity to learn about sours.

I can't tell you when to close the lid as I have never done this because it is rolling the dice. However, say you are lucky, get a fermentation going, I'd give it around 8 months, check the flavor to see if it is even something you want to consume, then add the raspberries to another fermenter and rack the beer ontop of that and give it another 4 or so months.

I had fermentation the next morning, not sure what it was, but action was happening. I used an old Mr. Beer so I can sit on this for years, no hurry, just looking to see if I should add Raspberries now or later.

Back