Secondary will not clear up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dongger1

Reaction score
I used starsan for the first time to sanitize my glass carboy. I used 1oz of Starsan to 5 gallons of water. The Starsan made the neck of the carboy so slick that the bubbler will not stay seated good. The IPA in the secondary is very cloudy with no signes of clearing up after 10 days in secondary. What would cause my beer to stay cloudy?

The Starsan made the neck of the carboy so slick that the bubbler will not stay seated good.

This happens. Dry it all off and go again.

The IPA in the secondary is very cloudy with no signes of clearing up after 10 days in secondary. What would cause my beer to stay cloudy?

Lots of things, but for anyone to be able to help we need:

Recipe? Yeast? Conditions?

The IPA is an exract kit from Austin Brew. I used 4 oz of citra hops. I started the boil with the speicalty grains and 1 oz Citra hops for 60 minutes, added the malt extract at 30 minutes, added 1oz Citra at 15,5 and flameout. Cooled and pitched Wyeast NW Ale yeast. Primary for two weeks at 68 degrees the racked to secondary 2 weeks ago. I went to check on the brew and found the airlocks just sitting loode on the carboys. Thee beer looks very cloudy and is not clearing.

The IPA is an exract kit from Austin Brew. I used 4 oz of citra hops. I started the boil with the speicalty grains and 1 oz Citra hops for 60 minutes, added the malt extract at 30 minutes, added 1oz Citra at 15,5 and flameout. Cooled and pitched Wyeast NW Ale yeast. Primary for two weeks at 68 degrees the racked to secondary 2 weeks ago. I went to check on the brew and found the airlocks just sitting loode on the carboys. Thee beer looks very cloudy and is not clearing.

A lot of my hoppier beers take a good long while to clear. That may be what's going on.

I used an ipa extract kit from Austin Homebrew (AHS AMerican IPA) and used all citra hops and Wyeast American Ale II 1272. The brew is really basic and easy.The only thing I did different was use starsan instead of Idophor. Primary for 2 weeks and racked to secondary for 10 days currently at 68 degrees.The beer will not clear.

A lot of my hoppier beers take a good long while to clear. That may be what's going on.

i've noticed that too. lots of hops in the boil, cloudy beer in the fermenter.

OP, did you use whirl floc or irish moss in the boil? you could always try cold crashing the beer to get it to drop clear. or just leave it for a bit longer. i know most of my beers are really clear after 3-4 weeks in the primary, even when they've been extra cloudy early on.

I am building a keezer within the next 2 weeks. Maybe I can get it done and cold crash. The beer smelled and tasted good, just cloudy as heck.

So do I just leave it in secondary till it clears?

So I'll be honest in that I'm not a big stickler for clarity. I usually bottle without a lot of regard for clarity. And usually, with my hoppy beers, I'm more bottling based on the amount of time I've been dry hopping. All that said, almost regardless of what they look like at bottling, once they're carbed and a week or two in the fridge, they're clear.

Latest posts

Back