Oops! Racked on top of Starsan. How bad will it be??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stp

Reaction score
Okay, made a stupid mistake tonight :( Had a Cerveza that was lagering for a month and today I decided to keg it. I racked some starsan in the keg to sanitize it and then ran a bunch though the lines and put it to the side.

I was rushing a bit and filled a few bottles and then grabbed the keg, took the lid off and started racking. I put about 4 gallons in before I realized that there was still starsan in there. I quickly grabbed a few more bottles and carb tabs and bottled the rest.

Will this still be good to drink? I know there's always a bit of starsan in the kegs and bottles as I don't rinse but how much is too much? I always measure my water (I used 1/4oz to 4.7 liters of water) so I measured at the end and I figure theres about 2-3 cups of starsan in 4 gallons of beer.

What do you guys think. Anyone else done this?

Can't say I've done this myself, but it is my understanding that you will be fine, worst case, it may seem a little "watery" in the end.

it happens all the time, never heard that quantity being left in there but i bet it will be fine. lots of food for the yeast to eat as the starsan breaks down.

Once pH rises above 3.5 the yeast with just eat the star san. It will water it down but it will be ok!

Next question...when yeast eat the star san does it add any alcohol or body :drunk:

No worries man. I've done it, probably the same amount, and it made absolutely no discernible difference to the beer.

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll just leave it alone and let it carb up. At least I'll have a few uncontaminated bottles to compare it to in a couple weeks.

Okay so I just did this very same thing, except I had about a gallon of star san/water mix in my carboy. I can't even blame it on drinking as I was brewing in the morning to escape the heat. I would love to know how your beer turned out. I can live it it being watered down as this was a higher gravity stout (milk chocolate stout).

Okay so I just did this very same thing, except I had about a gallon of star san/water mix in my carboy. I can't even blame it on drinking as I was brewing in the morning to escape the heat. I would love to know how your beer turned out. I can live it it being watered down as this was a higher gravity stout (milk chocolate stout).

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I'm just getting settled from moving.

It's hard for me to say how it turned out as I never actually brewed that cerveza since. I can tell you that I did drink it all and it wasn't off-tasting enough for me to stop drinking it. It was a light beer to begin with and I didn't have as much starsan as you so all I can say is that if I did the same thing again I wouldn't be worried about it.
Sorry if that doesn't help you.
Let me know how it turns out if you decided to go with it.
Shaun

Back