Delayed Bottling after Adding Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aehernandez

Reaction score
So, I'm still relatively new to homebrewing but I have several brews under my belt already. However, last Saturday, after adding the priming sugar to my bottling bucket and gently racking the beer onto it, I was hastily pulled away on some family business. I was gone for two hours and immediately upon returning I bottled the beer up, capped, and packed them away to crack open after (hopefully) carbing.

My question: did I ruin the beer, or simply ensure that they'll take longer to carb up? Anyone have a way to calculate the delay? Anyone ever do this and have a report on their experience?

Thanks in advance...

was the bottling bucket covered? if so your probably fine assuming you made sure your bottles were freshly sanitized

Yes, it was covered--bottles were sanitized as usual. I'm not very concerned about infection because I was pretty meticulous about sanitizing (even the bucket cover was thoroughly sprayed before I had to go).

My concern is more with loss of carbonation because of the delay. I imagine the process of racking onto the fresh dextrose near immediately re-starts the fermentation and begins emitting carbonation. I'm worried that I lost two hours of that and therefore will crack open my bottles in a few weeks to flat beer.

Well, let's think about this. Let's say it takes 3-4 weeks for the little yeasties to eat all your priming sugar and fully carb your beer. Using three weeks that is 504 hours of activity. You gave them a 2 hour head start. I really doubt these two hours would have any effect at all. Plus the fact that the yeast were pretty much done with fermentation so they need a little time to wake up and get active again.

Thanks, Bill. This was my thinking and the reason I proceeded to bottle as usual. It was only a nagging worry that prompted me to throw this out here.

Fingers crossed...

Back