Anchor Bock Clone- need some help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmurph

Reaction score
Anchor Bock is my favorite bock..i would love to brew a clone but I can't find anything on this forum or the internet in general. Just based on taste this would be my guess for character malts:

Definitely some chocolate
I think I detect a small amount of roasted barley
There's some caramel in there, I'm guessing Cara 40 or 60
I read somewhere they use a small amount of wheat, not sure I taste it though
Lots of munich of course
I would use Maris Otter to lend enough diastatic power to the grist

I would probably use as much munich as possible, filling in with maris otter to ensure sufficient DP, maybe 10% chocolate, a little less Caramel, and even less roasted barley. I'm not sure if I even need to throw the wheat in there.

There's a certain hoppiness that's unusual for a bock; I'm too new at this guess which hops they use.

Lagers aren't really a possibility for me so I would brew this as an ale; I would choose a very clean yeast, not too estery.

Suggestions?

I'm guessing Goldings and Saaz hops. If you find a good clone recipe please post it, Anchor Bock sure is tasty! Regards, GF.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Safale US-05
Starter: No
Batch Size: 5 gal
Expected Original Gravity: 1.054
Expected Final Gravity: 1.015
IBU: 19
Boil Time: 60 min
Color: 42
Primary Fermentation: 21 days at 68 F
Secondary Fermentation: none
Tasting Notes: Should be very malty, rich with lots of chocolate and caramel, and slightly roasty

Mash Size: 10.75 lbs
6 lbs Munich
2 lbs Wheat (they actually mention wheat on the bottle so I guess I'll throw it in)
1 lb Maris Otter
1 lb Chocolate
.5 lbs Special B (thought this would lend more richness than cara 40 or 60)
.25 lbs Roasted Barley

Mash @ 154 for 60 min

Hop Schedule
.5 oz Perle at 60 min
.75 oz Saaz at 5 min

This is my guess...again I know this is supposed to be a lager but this is the best my brewery can do, and it's generally agreed upon that US-05 is very clean for an ale yeast. I'll probably brew it up in a week or two and eventually post results on how it comes out. Maybe it won't be quite like Anchor but I may still have a great beer on my hands.

Sorry for visiting an old topic, but spoke to some of the anchor brewers, and their never making this beer again :( my favorite, buyout the secret ingredient is a special chocolate mall called "Black Prinz" hope that helps

Sorry for visiting an old topic, but spoke to some of the anchor brewers, and their never making this beer again :( my favorite, buyout the secret ingredient is a special chocolate mall called "Black Prinz" hope that helps

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just picked up a sixer of this and it is fantastic! Absolutely love it! So of course I look for a clone to see about making it. So I don't think it's gone just yet my friend.

Back