cocoa power vs cocoa nibs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew300

Reaction score
Im going to be making a chocolate hazelnut porter this weekend. I was wondering if it would be better to use cocoa powder or nibs. Anyone have any experience is using either one?

Grind your nibs. I just started a Mead with nibs.. and used about 2 oz (maybe 1.75, so hard to tell after you taste sample a bit etc).... No I don't know how much for your porter I think I've seen recomended in another nibs discussion about 6 to 8 oz for a 5 gallon batch....

Anyhow if you don't grind them, they will 1 float, and 2 they don't look like they will disolve I've not tried powder

Grind your nibs. I just started a Mead with nibs.. and used about 2 oz (maybe 1.75, so hard to tell after you taste sample a bit etc).... No I don't know how much for your porter I think I've seen recomended in another nibs discussion about 6 to 8 oz for a 5 gallon batch....

Anyhow if you don't grind them, they will 1 float, and 2 they don't look like they will disolve I've not tried powder

+1 to grind the nibs. I did a stout and used it whole and it didn't add much of chocolate flavor.

Back