When to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arlewis86

Reaction score
I started my first brew ever and have a few questions about the fermentation process. I pitched the yeast on Jan 1 for an IPA using White Labs California Ale yeast. After 36 hours at room temp, I moved my brew to a room at 55 deg F (I don't know why, I think I misread something). It has been sitting at 55 deg F for 2 weeks and is still fermenting. I moved it back to 70 deg F on Tuesday. Right now it is still slowly bubbling out the fermentation lock and there is still some kraeusen. Because it's been over 2 weeks I am worried about it starting to produce off flavors from the inactive yeast. Should I let it keep going, or should I start thinking about bottling it and use a smaller amount of priming sugar?

Andrew L

keep it right where it is. I brewed one batch in the primary fermenter for 4 weeks and it turned out the best I have made. I may leave the next one even longer if I have the patience for it.

Did you see action before you moved it to the 55 deg room? And has it increased since you moved it back to the 70 deg space?

Did you see action before you moved it to the 55 deg room? And has it increased since you moved it back to the 70 deg space?

Yes it was going strong before I moved it and it was going strong for quite a while. It doesn't look like it has increased too much since I moved it back. At one point the kraeusen had all but disappeared, then it came back, but it's not as thick as the first time.

I am worried about it starting to produce off flavors from the inactive yeast.
Don't be. If there is krausen and active fermentation, the yeast isn't inactive. Even if it was, there's no harm in leaving the beer on the yeast for a month plus - it can only be good for your beer.

Let it go until the bubbling stops, then take a gravity reading. Take one again the next day. If it hasn't moved, you're good to bottle.

Back