Johnson A419 Temp Controller Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSBrewer

Reaction score
This may be a dumb Q but I want to make sure before I order it...

Do all of the Johnson A419 Temperature Controllers come with the piggyback cord - so you just plug the freezer into it and then plug into the wall - or do some require hardwiring for the power?

This may be a dumb Q but I want to make sure before I order it...

Do all of the Johnson A419 Temperature Controllers come with the piggyback cord - so you just plug the freezer into it and then plug into the wall - or do some require hardwiring for the power?

Many do NOT come with it, and require that you wire a pigtaill to it or hard wire it. The ones without the pigtail are 10-20 bucks cheaper.

How hard is it to wire - I mean I was able to install all the new light fixtures in my house - is wiring this bad boy up any harder?

Is it possible to wire with 2 cords coming out of it (one 6' with male end one 6' with female) instead of a piggy back?

Really appreciate the help.

They are easy to wire and several threads on HBT will have the diagram or help if you need it.

I have one and it works well - I also recommend you look at the Love controllers. For similar money you can get a TSS2-2100 which will allow you to cool & heat for fermentation purposes is you will need that feature.

How hard is it to wire - I mean I was able to install all the new light fixtures in my house - is wiring this bad boy up any harder?

Is it possible to wire with 2 cords coming out of it (one 6' with male end one 6' with female) instead of a piggy back?

Really appreciate the help.

It is easier than a light fixture, becuase the wires are the same and you arent on a ladder :mug:

Buy an appropriate gauge extension cord. Cut it, and wire both halves in. Now you have your feed and your draw all set up.

FWIW the A419 will cool and heat, but you need to switch a jumper

I wouldnt personally trust that chinese ebay one for a keezer or anywhere where temperature really matters. It would really suck to have it die on you.

FWIW the A419 will cool and heat, but you need to switch a jumper

Why cant I find a diagram or instructions about this jumper that you speak of? I sure could use it, being that the garage is about 55deg in the winter. I could really use a lightbulb in the chest freezer to keep my lovely IPAs warm enough while the yeasties do their thing..

Back