Video on Tasting Craft Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There was a thread earlier that, I thought, lowered the bar in terms of beer tasting. I thought others here might enjoy this good video about craft beer tastings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great video! Thanks for sharing. I conduct beer tastings at the local community college where I live and it's always a blast. One of the things left out of this video is helping the tasters develop a vocabulary for describing the flavors. I have often found that when I prompt a taster with the words for what we are tasting like vanilla, oak, caramel etc. they then recognize those flavors that they were unaware of before.
mark
www.backyardbrewer.blogspot.com
www.thebackyardbrewer.com

This video split me in two. My American half loved it. It was a good insight into how much a good craft beer can improve your tasting experiences. The English side of me wondered why the hell anyone would need to watch a video that tells you that there is other stuff out there apart from Bud Lite.

Great video!!! :)

Mark, I agree, folks need a vocabulary to describe what they taste. Here on hbt, sometimes, people need help with that - "I have that homebrewy taste to my beer."

LGI, it is a little sad - but its also really great that there are so many craft beers available now, and then there's all of us who make handmade beer!

Sweet video. Did anyone catch the dude from NY at around the 6 minute mark?? His title is "Chief Beer Officer". Thats great stuff.

I liked the video, but they lost me when they started on about "Beer whispering". That being said I tend to be the guy saying, "My beer has a homebrewish taste". Again good vid, thanks for posting. :)

Sweet video. Did anyone catch the dude from NY at around the 6 minute mark?? His title is "Chief Beer Officer". Thats great stuff.

Long story short my Uncle met a sales representative from Arcadia here in Michigan. On his businesscard his title reads "Alebassador of all things Awesome"

I believe he's a guy living the dream.

and lmao for you using the qoute in your sig so soon Mordantly! :cheers:

so a shaker is NOT the ideal general-porpuse glass huh? i should get one of the belgian style that has a torus 75% up the side.

I had kind of come to that on my own, too. I have an arrogant bastard pint glass that I seldom use anymore. My favorite glass is the Sam Adams design:

crean_stout.jpg

My second favorite is the tried and true pilsner style glass:

Drinkability_Light_Beer.jpg

thats what it is for me. but it is about the aroma right?

taken from: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/glassware

Near cylindrical, with a slight taper and wide-mouth. There are two standard sizes, the 16-ounce (US Tumbler - the pour man's pint glass and most common) or the 20-ounce Imperial (Nonic), which has a slight ridge towards the top, a grip of sorts and helps in stacking them. The 20-ounce version is preferred to accommodate more beer or beers with large crowning heads. A Becker is the German equivalent, tapering at the top.

Handling Tips
Never chill your glassware, and decline if served a frosted glass. Why? As the beer hits the frosted glass condensation will occur and dilute your beer, while at the same time alter the serving temperature.

Hand-wash all glasses. Some dishwashers will leave a residue, which may effect the head retention as well as the flavor and aroma. Use a mild dishwashing soap, and if you are really anal retentive have a separate sponge for your glass ware so there is not cross contamination from greasy food particles on a used sponge. Let them air dry, do not hand dry because the towel may leave dust particles which will affect the head retention. Caring for you glassware in this manner will also protect gold- or silver- rimmed glasses and glasses with silk-screened brewery logos.

Back