New hop--SORACHI ACE?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chairman Cheyco said:
Dude, how did you like this one once it aged a little more? Did I read somewhere that you were not all that impressed with it?

I'm wondering because I'm probably going to do another hop-profile beer, and I was wondering if you're going to keep this recipe the same for your hop profiling.

The sorachis were a funky aroma, but the beer tasted alright. It had a slight sourness (I think from the sorachis), but it was a solid beer. The randall certainly hid its faults!! It really didn't get to age all that much because we killed the whole keg at VAgraNCy.

I am going to keep on keeping on with the single hop beers. Simcoe Slammer is in the works soon. I also REALLY want to do a Columbus version. I love the recipe we came up with--and I've been sticking to right around 60 IBUs..it doesn't take much to adjust the hop amounts (times stay the same) to tweak it to around 60.

Dude said:
I am going to keep on keeping on with the single hop beers. Simcoe Slammer is in the works soon. I also REALLY want to do a Columbus version. I love the recipe we came up with--and I've been sticking to right around 60 IBUs..it doesn't take much to adjust the hop amounts (times stay the same) to tweak it to around 60.

I was just thinking about doing an Amarillo pale ale this morning. Call it "Amarillo Slim" or something. You ever done a beer with just those guys?

the_bird said:
I was just thinking about doing an Amarillo pale ale this morning. Call it "Amarillo Slim" or something. You ever done a beer with just those guys?

I haven't but I want to. Amarillo is one of those that 60 IBUs won't seem like all that much. Amarillos are real soft. I'll bet it would smell great though.

the_bird said:
I have and it turned out great. Called it Yellow Rose IPA. In fact, tonight I'm bottling a second batch I did.

My second Amarillo Pale Ale is in the secondary now. The first was such a hit, I'm doing it again.

I used:
6lbs Extra Light Dry
1lb Crystal 10L
8oz Crystal 40L
1oz Amarillo 60min
1oz Amarillo 15min (spread out between 15min and 0min)
1oz Amarillo Dry Hop
WLP501 California V to give it a touch of a fruity undertone

It's a bit mild at 5% and 42.3 IBU's, but it's a crowd pleaser. Even some of those BMC drinkers like it. :cross:

I was thinking of trying the same thing with Sorachi. Still debating it.

This thread inspired me to start goofing with single hop beers to figure out exactly what certain hops taste like. My first was with millinenium.

7lbs light LME
1lb melanoidin
1lb carafoam
1lb crystal 60

.5oz 60min
.5oz 20min
.5oz 10min
1oz 2min
1oz dry hop

flying dog ale yeast.

hombrew store guy, Doug-the coolest guy in the known universe, had some millenium hops that someone brought in. He diddn't know the aa% so I just guessed based on the tastybrew.com recepie calculator. Today I am racking to secondary and tossing in the dry hops. Should be a nice 5% beer. The recepie I'm going to keep real similar. Just trying out the yeast. If I change anything about the recepie it would be back to 1098 brit ale from wyeast. I also like a little less of a bitter kick so I am going to try and keep the IBU's around 40-45(of IBU's from hops in the boil more than 30 min). The next hop I am going to goof with is simcoe or sorachi ace. Depends on if my LHBS has some sorachi ace or not. I love the simcoe/amarillo combo but I want to know what of each I like. :rockin:

Bump -- So now that a lot of these Sorachi beers are being consumed, what's the overall consensus? Too much grapefruit?
Anyone do a Cascade/Sorachi Ace combination?
I was thinking a blonde ale with medium hoppiness, but prominent grapefruit flavor/scent overtones might be nice, especially for a lighter spring/summer pounder. I just have no idea how to go about designing it.

Flash in the pan hop? Nobody is talking about this anymore, was the Sorachi Ace hop a let-down?

I still have mine in the freezer and have yet to use them. I have too many other beers in the pipeline!:D Most of what I've read attributed a lemony flavor profile. I bet if paired Sorachis with Cascades you'd get a real citrusy punch and possibly a nice summer ale!

I'm looking to do what I am calling an "Asian Ale". I have some Sorachi and Organic New Zealand Hallertau hops (7.2% AAU vs. ~4% AAU for German Hallertau). I've been thinking about doing some sort of pale ale or even a lager with them. Maybe something along the lines of a Coopers Vintage Ale or Victoria Bitter, but with more of a hop bite. A true hybrid.

I missed the earlier discussion as I only recently joined this forum. Someone in my local homebrew club won some Sorachi Ace hops in a competition. He brewed up an ale with these hops and brought it in for the club to sample.

Here's what I wrote elsewhere about the tasting:
Very unique flavor to these hops - a combination of banana, lemon, and coconut. Honestly, it most reminded me of paw-paw which grows natively around my house, but most folks have never tasted that. Sorachi Ace has a high AA%, I believe these were 16%. The brewer didn't add any early in the boil for fear of creating too much bitterness, but included a bunch at 15 minutes, 10, 5, flame-out, and dry hop. The beer had a HUGE aroma, but the sweetness of the malt shined through due to the lack of bittering. I'm really glad I had the experience of tasting a beer made with these hops and would gladly consume it again. However I'm not sure if I'd venture to make an entire batch myself... maybe when I have dozens more brewing sessions worth of experience.

OK guys, might order 5 lbs of these hops. If I don't like the flavor profile I'll use just for bittering.

Whats the consenus on this hop for flav/aroma. any particular styles?

Also, anyone first wort hop these?

I find their bitterness very smooth, both 60' and FWH. I've used them at 5 min. and have gotten a definite lemon out of them. I've never used them as a flavor addition (15'-20') - other than FWH and I found that to be fairly netural. I've only used them in lagers and wheat beers.

It is a hop I like to keep on hand at all times.

OK guys, might order 5 lbs of these hops. If I don't like the flavor profile I'll use just for bittering.

Whats the consenus on this hop for flav/aroma. any particular styles?

Also, anyone first wort hop these?

Yep. I like this as a bittering hop for American-style IPA, as well as for wit beers. FWH mellows the flavor on this hop considerably.

In January I did a "Leftover Hops" IPA with Sorachi and a touch of Columbus at FWH, Wilammete and Sterling for flavoring, and more Sorachi Ace at flameout. The flameout addition made an oil slick on the top of the beer.

After oaking and dry-hopping, the IPA turned out delicious, with not too much citrusy character, part of which I attribute to using older (2007 crop) Sorachi Ace. It's still aging, but is so good it may not get to fully age.

A while back I did a wit beer with Sorachi Ace as well that turned out nicely. Because of the high AA%, in a low-ibu beer like wit, there's not a lot of hop flavor. The beer got a lot of compliments from people who know beer, though.

Here's a great recipe that I've used them in:

5gal batch, 1067 OG, 1012FG, 77% Eff
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 73.47 %
0.75 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.12 %
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 4.08 %
0.50 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 4.08 %
0.38 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.10 %
0.12 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 0.98 %
0.32 oz Magnum [10.80 %] (75 min) Hops 11.8 IBU
0.25 oz Pacific Gem [15.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.9 IBU
0.25 oz Sorachi Ace [13.70 %] (5 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
0.25 oz Sorachi Ace [13.70 %] (1 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.25 oz Pacific Gem [15.00 %] (1 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.50 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.50 lb Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM) Sugar 4.08 %
0.50 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 4.08 %
1 Pkgs Canadian Belgian (Wyeast Labs #3864) [Starter 1500 ml] Yeast-Ale

The guy I got the recipe from calls it Travelers and Tourists since most of the ingredients are from all over the world. It's kinda dubbel-ish, but with a slight lemon zing, and the twang from the coriander. It is really good and I'll be brewing it again. Several times. ;)

Back