Pecan porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_clean

Reaction score
Bring at least 2 1/2 gallons of water to 155 degrees and turn off the heat

Put the crushed grains in the grain bag:1/2 LB. Chocolate,1LB. Crystal 60L,2 1/2 LB. Maris Otter Pale Malt
Soak the grains in the hot water for 45 minutesAfter soaking the grains,lift the grain bag out of the water,once the bag has dripped almost all of the water out.
Place a strainer over the stockpot and then put the grainbag into the strainer.Pour 170 degree water evenly over the bag using approx.1 Quart of water per 2 LB. of grain.discard the grains and return to heat untill boiling.

Turn off the heat once again and move the stockpot to a cool burner.Add the malt extract 5 LB. Dark Extract,1/2 LB.Pale extract,1 LB corn syrup
Stir constantly while adding to dissolve the malt extract.Return to a boil,once its a controlled boil.add the bittering hops
and set the timer for 60 minutes 1 Oz. Challenger

After 45 of the 60 minutes have passed,add the flavor hops for the last 15 minutes:None
After 55 of the 60 minutes have passed,add the aroma hops for the last 5 minutes: 1 Oz. Fuggle

After the 60 min has passed put the pot in the tub with ice and water,rapidly cool the wort to 80-85 degrees.Pour the wort
in the fermenter and add as much water needed to the 5 gallon line.Check the gravity, it should be 1.055.Finishing gravity
should be 1.017

Reccomended Yeast: White Labs British Ale 005, Wyeast London Ale 1028, Nottingham dry yeast

When bottling steep 1/2 LB of pecans in 1quart of water for 15 minutes add to the beer when adding the corn sugar for priming,you could also use a little bit of molasses to prime.

How strong is the pecan flavor in this recipe? My grandfather planted several pecan trees on their farm in Buffalo, Tx. many years ago. I have been wanting to incorporate them in a brew some how and I love Porter. Just don't want it to be overpowering. Have you ever had Shiner Christmas Cheer? It uses peaches and pecans. My grandfather also planted several peach trees. Would be very interesting if I could make something tastey out of those too.

You can adjust it to your liking.I used 1/2 LB cracked.Great flavor,id use less bittering hops though.

Latest posts

Back