Help! Include LME volume in boil volume?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitteral

Reaction score
Help. I just realized that I always fill my brew pot to the target boil volume, and then add the extracts on top of that. But now I realize that adding several pounds of extract raises the volume. So when I compute hop utilization, should I use the volume before the LME, or the volume after the LME.

I have two brew pots on the stove, bringing them to a boil. And I want to make any necessary hop adjustments based on the response(s).

TIA

3 lbs of LME is roughly a quart by volume. Not exactly sure if it increases the wort volume by this amount, but in reality, as stated above, it's not that critical.

Yes. Include it. 6lbs of LME is half a gallon.

Kinda ruins your day when you realize you're way over 5gal at the end of the boil because you didn't account for the volume of the extract. Did that on a Tripel that had 3/4 of a gallon of extract.

Both batches used 7 lbs LME, so that is a bit more than 1/2 g volume. I did end up factoring it in, and made a minor adjustment to the hops based on that.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I don't bother, I base my boil time on the amount of liquid to boil and adjust my hop addition times also in accordance with the total boil time.

As like yesterday, my total volume was just shy of 7 gal mark on my kettle so my boil time was 1hr 10 min to boil down to 5.5 gal (accounting for the hop mess and slurry 1/2 gal at the bottom) Hop addition went in at 10 into the boil and then per schedule after.

Cheers

last batch I filled the regular 3 gallon boil then added 8.8 lbs of LME. The water level went up significantly. When the boil was done I had 3 gallons again.

Back