Belgian Tripel Tripel "O"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergolf

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WY1388
Yeast Starter
Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Orval Dregs
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 weeks see notes
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
12 weeks
Tasting Notes
Just what I like in a tripel.
This brew was done on a whim. I went in my LHBS without a recipe and made it up on the spot. I had a Pranqster the day before and was looking on their website and it listed the ingredients, so I just winged it with this recipe. Even the corriander was not planned, but I had a jar of corriander seeds sitting on the counter on brew day so I decided at the last minute to add some. It is not meant to be a clone but it turned out to be a great brew. The Brett from the Orval dregs adds a nice complexity. Very drinkable, with some slight fruity notes.

Recipe:

4 lbs. Belgian Pale 36.4%
4 lbs Belgian Pils. 36.4%
1 lb. wheat 9.1%
2 lb Candi Syrup Golden 18.2%

Mash 148 for 75 minutes

1.5oz Saaz 3% AA , 17.4 IBU @ 60
1 oz. Saaz 3%AA, 7 IBU @ 20

1 T Corriander seed whole ( crushed just before adding) @ 10 min.

WY1388 ( starter) pitched at 66. Held at 68 for two days and then let rise to 72 for initial fermentation for 4 weeks.

Racked to secondary and pitched the dregs from two bottles of Orval and let sit for 12 weeks. Bottle to 3+ vols. Enjoy.

Edit: Now after 4 months in the bottle the flavor keeps changing for the better. This is one of those brews where I want to drink them because they are sooooooo good, but also want to save them because I want to see how it changes over time. Definite rebrew worthy.. I guess I need to do it soon because it does take so long to reach it's full potential.

tripelo.jpg

I really like the look of this. I may have to try it as I've got that yeast in the fridge and the right hops. I just need some pale malt and a few Orvals to sip on.

I really like the look of this. I may have to try it as I've got that yeast in the fridge and the right hops. I just need some pale malt and a few Orvals to sip on.

A few Orvals to sip on is a good thing. I have done a few more brews (Saisons)using the dregs and they are turning out nice.

If you brew it you will enjoy it. I had a few on Thanksgiving Day.

A few Orvals to sip on is a good thing. I have done a few more brews (Saisons)using the dregs and they are turning out nice.

If you brew it you will enjoy it. I had a few on Thanksgiving Day.

Sounds good. I've got a stash of 1 gallon demijohns and I'm saving a gallon of each brew from now on to put dregs in. Hopefully I'll come up with one good enough to do a whole batch that way. The first one I've done is starting to show signs of activity but it's early days yet.

How much do you worry about the brett infecting everything else... do you use a separate set of plastic or just sanitize well afterwards? I always wimp out at the last second when I'm planning on pitching some dregs.

How much do you worry about the brett infecting everything else... do you use a separate set of plastic or just sanitize well afterwards? I always wimp out at the last second when I'm planning on pitching some dregs.

I don't worry too much about it. I do have a seperate bottling bucket, siphon and hoses. I usually do brett beers in glass so the fermenters are easy to clean and sanitize.

Brett is not some super bug, so with good cleaning and using Starsan you are good. If you want some great info on brett, look up the Chad Yacobson youtube videos. He mentions that it is easy to kill just like sach.

Back