homemade jerky

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually prefer to use my smoker for drying my jerky. It is big enough to put a full 5 pounds in at a time (I make sliced Jerky) and I can impart a little bit of smoke flavor. In recipes that call for liquid smoke, I actually leave the liquid smoke out and add more smoke.

You can also use an oven, however most ovens' minimum temperature setting is too high for jerky (mine bottoms out at 180). To get it low enough, you have to leave the door open a crack, which means the oven will cycle on and off a lot, potentially wasting a ton of electricity (and wearing out the oven)

I generally smoke my jerky for an hour at 165 to kill any creepy crawlies that might be on them, and then drop it down to 140 until they are done.

The traditional way is in the sun with enough salt to dry it out and enough pepper to keep the flies off.

The traditional way is in the sun with enough salt to dry it out and enough pepper to keep the flies off.

I had always heard was the pepper was to hide the fly specks. ... lol

There are people who still air dry their jerky, usually in their attic where it is good and warm. I prefer the smoker though. I've had jerky from the oven and dehydrator, but I like the jerky from the smoker best.

I had always heard was the pepper was to hide the fly specks. ... lol

There are people who still air dry their jerky, usually in their attic where it is good and warm. I prefer the smoker though. I've had jerky from the oven and dehydrator, but I like the jerky from the smoker best.

I've done all of em, worst was the oven, best was dehydrator. I should have cold smoked.

I make it in the Oven prop the door open an inch or so with a beer can or something. I can keep my Oven at about 165 this way.

photo-83.jpg

2013-02-20083130_zpsd39245ee.jpg

Back