Man; this is EASY!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewskii

Reaction score
1st time cider bla bla bla...

Day one, 2 gallons Murray's filtered pasteurized
Apple cider with no preservatives. Added 2 cups of organic cane sugar. OG was 1.059

Pitched 1 pkg. Nottingham dry yeast ... The lazy way. Inserted air lock.

Fast forward 4 days... Now 1.018 and wife says its good. Put it in the fridge... Next morning bottle it in sterilized , clean, 3 6-packs of green 12 oz bottles and one 20 oz coke PET bottle .

16 hrs later, coke bottle is good and firm so all three sixer's go in the dishwasher on sterilize rinse cycle.

Easy-peazey ... Tastes good enough that I'm passing it out to the neighbors. It was a little yeasty tasting coming off the pasteurization but a few days in the fridge later, it seems to have gone away.

It was SO easy I thought I might have forgot something. I made a great tasting 5.5% ABV sparkling cider in less than a week!

Thank god I didn't know about this in college :D

Think you're basically right, cider is a whole lot easier to make than beer, almost unbelievably simple. But there are a FEW things that could go wrong, so enjoy, just don't get TOO complacent (my recent 5 litres of vinegar is testament to that :))

I I agree. Very easy. One thing I've noticed: I tend to have to add campden tabs and cold crash once I reach the desired abv otherwise I end up with what tastes like apple wine (easily 12% +)

My recipe:
3 cups cane sugar
1 gal pasteurized preservative free cider
1/5 vial of white labs English cider yeast
2 cinnamon sticks

Usually let it go 2-4 weeks before racking then another week or so before back sweetening and bottling.

Any obvious issues with my recipe? Too much sugar making too much alcohol? That's what I suspected.

Any tips for a newbie would be great!
Cheers

I I agree. Very easy. One thing I've noticed: I tend to have to add campden tabs and cold crash once I reach the desired abv otherwise I end up with what tastes like apple wine (easily 12% +)

My recipe:
3 cups cane sugar
1 gal pasteurized preservative free cider
1/5 vial of white labs English cider yeast
2 cinnamon sticks

Usually let it go 2-4 weeks before racking then another week or so before back sweetening and bottling.

Any obvious issues with my recipe? Too much sugar making too much alcohol? That's what I suspected.

Any tips for a newbie would be great!
Cheers
Looks like I am gonna try your recipe next. I am one week into my first ever batch of any type of brew. I did 1 gal of juiced fresh apples from my neighbors yard with 1 cup sugar and 1 cup of honey. Please let me know how it went. Yours will be done before mine obviously.

Welcome to the brotherhood of cidercraft my friend. It's a combination of alchemy and art.

Back