SA-05 pitching temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SocalNat

Reaction score
I just made a IIPA with a OG of 1.079:tank: and I used a new ice bath pump system to cool it to 59*. Is that too cold to pitch 2 packs of SA-05?

It might take a little to get going, but you'll be just fine with 59°. Better a little cold than warm!

Nope. Might be slow to start but it should still work. Most people find that fermenting on the lower range of the yeast capabilities have a much cleaner beer especially with the neutral strains like SO-5. There were rumors circulating around that a few larger breweries were going down to Lager temps with SO-5 for different reasons.

beerloaf

That's great. Always better to pitch low. I would shoot for 65F constant fermentation temperature, though. US-05 can get a little peachy if fermented cold.

I refuse to pitch us05 south of 67f, and for some reason, I've found this yeast to be cleaner at 67-68 than it is at 62-64. Why, I don't know, but it does save me cooling time and its a killer yeast at the upper temp.

I refuse to pitch us05 south of 67f, and for some reason, I've found this yeast to be cleaner at 67-68 than it is at 62-64. Why, I don't know, but it does save me cooling time and its a killer yeast at the upper temp.

Yes, I believe the same...this is my recent go to yeast at these temps. Even if I pitch colder, I am not concerned to let it ramp up to the high sixties.

I just made a IIPA with a OG of 1.079:tank: and I used a new ice bath pump system to cool it to 59*. Is that too cold to pitch 2 packs of SA-05?

That's ideal. But..........I don't like this yeast at under 64 degrees. So, go ahead and pitch, but then let it warm to 64-65, and ferment at 64-68. It gets weirdly "peachy" at under 64 degrees.

Back