1 Gallon Beer Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc1123

Reaction score
Since there seem to be people who enjoy brewing small batches, I was wondering if anyone would like to post their tried and true 1 gallon recipes. I started with kits and have moved on to recipes from a book, but I hope to start making my own recipes soon. I would love for people to post their own recipes that taste great when brewed on a smaller scale.

Edit: I just did a search and found this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/1-gallon-recipes-302578/
I know recipes can be scaled and I know about the Brooklyn Brew Shop book. Now I want recipes!

Well, any recipe can be a 1 gallon recipe, so you can use any recipe you would like. Just divide a 5 gallon batch in half for a 2.5 gallon recipe, or in fourths for a 1.25 gallon recipe. It really is that easy.

I'd say to go a little stronger on hops or more dryhopping, and to lighten up on grains like caramalt, honey malt, etc. In my experience they don't quite scale as easily as said. Hops tend to be lighter in flavor, aroma and certain grains tend to quickly take over a beer when used in 4 ozs or more. Just my 2 cents

I convert recipes to 3 gallons. My advice is be careful with the hops. When you are dealing with .25 ounces, etc, you should follow it as closely as possible because twice as much hops will show up strong. Don't round up, because there's no curve to bitterness or aroma. And if you are going to cut the recipe by 1/5, try to stay as extra close as possible, else your beer will be too bitter or not bitter enough. I imagine you'll have to cut .2 or .1 ounces--so get a good digital kitchen scale. One of my beers is out of balance just from having accidentally added one ounce of hops on a 3 gallon batch--even if I had only added .5 ounces, it would not have tasted right. I know this because I made the same beer twice. Good luck!

I'll be posting all my 1 gallon recipes on my blog so keep a look out for new posts. I'm currently trying to develop a few 1 gallon extract recipes with steeped grains that i'll step up to 2.5 gallon batches in the future.

The Brewing Jug

By the way, a good thing to create for yourself is a spreadsheet converter. This gives you freedom to use any recipe. I have made one in a Google Docs spreadsheet so that I can daydream from any computer.

Basically you have one cell for the original amount of gallons, one cell from the new amount of gallons. This allows you to convert from 5, 5.5, 10 gallon batches to anything.

The main trick is to convert pounds and fractions of pounds to ounces before coverting the ingredients to the new amount. The second trick is to round. I like to round up at the tenth decimal point of an ounce.

It has worked well for me. All my recipes have been converted from bigger batches and they turn out. Again, the only worry is that the smaller you get, the more precise you need to be.

By the way, a good thing to create for yourself is a spreadsheet converter. This gives you freedom to use any recipe. I have made one in a Google Docs spreadsheet so that I can daydream from any computer.

Basically you have one cell for the original amount of gallons, one cell from the new amount of gallons. This allows you to convert from 5, 5.5, 10 gallon batches to anything.

The main trick is to convert pounds and fractions of pounds to ounces before coverting the ingredients to the new amount. The second trick is to round. I like to round up at the tenth decimal point of an ounce.

It has worked well for me. All my recipes have been converted from bigger batches and they turn out. Again, the only worry is that the smaller you get, the more precise you need to be.

Can you share this spreadsheet or make it public?

It's really barebones. I've exported it to xls and uploaded to mediafire. You can import it back into Google Docs. It's not pretty but it works. Just, double check it before you trust the numbers, and don't blame me for anything :) There's a witbier left in the spreadsheet called Blanche Oreiller I converted from a BYO recipe. You can use it as a guide to understand what numbers get plugged into what. Also be careful with deleting formulas (undo will come in handy).

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yqrlvtpc5h5t1rr/Blanche_Oreiller.xls

Edit: Also, the added % is just to add a tiny amount to help with OG. I just leave at 2%, it is meant to change some of the base grains by 2% extra and it should not change some of the lower numbers. You can just change it to 0 to keep it simple.

I've never noticed a difference between my one and five gallon recipes. When you're working at one gallon with hops and specialty grains, depending on how precise your scale is it can be challenging to accurately get 0.07oz of a grain. It's usually easier to convert to grams and measure by grams, especially if you have a digital scale that does both.

I've never noticed a difference between my one and five gallon recipes. When you're working at one gallon with hops and specialty grains, depending on how precise your scale is it can be challenging to accurately get 0.07oz of a grain. It's usually easier to convert to grams and measure by grams, especially if you have a digital scale that does both.

Wow, that's really precise (grams). I go as far down as .1 ounce (one tenth ounces), which is about 3 grams.

Wow, that's really precise (grams). I go as far down as .1 ounce (one tenth ounces), which is about 3 grams.

It's the easiest way to take a 5 gallon recipe and scale it to 1 gallon and vice versa. Sometimes you have small touches for color or balance at five gallons which becomes very tiny at 1 gallon. Most digital scales measure ounces and grams so all you need is a quick converter online.

It's the easiest way to take a 5 gallon recipe and scale it to 1 gallon and vice versa. Sometimes you have small touches for color or balance at five gallons which becomes very tiny at 1 gallon. Most digital scales measure ounces and grams so all you need is a quick converter online.

I'm sure you are right. But literally you are arguing about less than a 1 gram of difference since 0.1 oz = 2.8 grams. That is because 2 grams is rounded to 3 (0.1 oz) , and 1 gram is rounded to 0 (0.0 oz).

I am brewing 1 gallon at a time. I see that recipies have batch sizes of 6 gallons, do I divide by 5 or 6 for one gallon brewing?

Thank you,
Zachariah

Think it's time this got bumped!

I posted this over in the 1 Gallon Unite! Thread but it may have a better home here. Literally not having any idea what I was doing I'd say they turned out quite well. :mug:

So this was my first recipe, I have no reason or logic to it other than ..... "Hey why not?"

1 gallon batch
3 quarts mash (1 hour @ 152-158, stove top is inconsistent but I manage )
4 quarts sparge @ 170
75 minute boil

Batch one:
1.5 lbs Maris Otter
0.25 lbs Munich Dark
0.25 lbs Crystal 45
0.125 lbs Crystal 150
0.03125 lbs Chocolate malt
0.25 lbs CaraRye
0.1 lbs Rye Flakes

7g Columbus @ 75
7g Columbus @ 45
7g Columbus @30
7g Amarillo @ 15
7g Amarillo @ 5
7g Zythos @ 0

Yeast: Nottingham (re-hydrated for 15-20 minutes prior to pitching)

Batch Two:
Exact same malt bill but with a much smaller hop list (wanted to compare them side by side):
4g Columbus @ 75
4g Amarillo @ 40
2g Zythos @ 5

Batch one: was hoping for a bittersweet malty bastard with some nice rye overtones out of this and mostly succeeded, was not as sweet as I'd hoped but was damn drinkable none the less. Definitely not for people who aren't hop-heads with 42 grams of hops per gallon. Aromatic and bitter the way I like, heavy mouth feel, went down nice. Was afraid that this one was going to be so over the top as to be undrinkable but was happily surprised and was my favourite of the two.

Batch two: This is the one I was hoping for a smoother less sweet taste out of but wasn't quite my cup of tea though my friends and partner enjoyed it quite a bit. Found it too bitter and not flavourful enough, though did get nicer as it warmed and as the pint went down. Had higher hopes but hey.... still wasn't bad.

Carbing: I bottled both with 2tbsp honey and a 1/4 of water, same honey bottle both times. Batch one was perfect, not bombs, nice head.

But batch two foamed over and blew fountains when taking the caps off. Typically lost half a bottle to overflowing foam before I could salvage any of it. Curious how the smaller hop bill somehow aided over-carbing. I don't understand sugars for bottling well enough yet

Also, my closet (literally) for fermenting is usually at an ambient of 70-75F, higher than I'd like but in our tiny apartment there isn't space for a temp-controlled fermentation chamber of any kind. It serves it's purpose of keeping the carboys in the dark and the cats away from knocking them over but that's as much as I can do until we move to a bigger place.

Back