Beware of Auber Instruments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow...

Not sure why I feel the need to throw my input in here, but here it goes...

Every order I place without a signature required is one I know where I know I'm taking a risk. If I were that worried, I would have items shipped to my work or held at a local depot for pickup (and I often do one of these). Bad business practices? Uhm, no. Less-than-superior business practices? Sure, why not. Hey, how many of you have local (and no, local does not have to equal small) businesses that have oddball policies? You either deal with it or you go elsewhere. It seems like people think because a store is online that they should hold to every overglorified "standard" that other online stores do.

Hey, I'm especially happy when I get exceptional customer service. If it's just so-so, I can either find a comparable product elsewhere or just deal with it. I will still be ordering from Auber, they obviously provide good products for what we need and even adapted to the market (look at the mesh shrouded temp probes), all for a pretty damn decent price. I read through this entire thread and not once did I question whether or not I should place my next order from them (oh and I typically get pretty well worked about about bad customer service). They stated what their loss would be, and agreed to split it. Maybe a mediocre response, but surely not a reason to grab the torches and pitch forks.

As to P-J's response, so what if he is fired up? He is passionate about the products and has spent hours upon hours designing schematics for folks here, so yes, I believe he gets a little extra leeway in his responses. It's not like he attacked others. Yeesh.

Oh, and one of the ways I deal with accepting non-signature shipments at my house is I have security cameras. Does this prevent something from being stolen? No, not necessarily, but it is proof in case it is, and still somewhat of a deterrent. Most of the deliveries I get are at least kind of tucked away, but this last one ($400 worth of aquarium equipment) was set in our flower bed, completely away from the door and the most visible place. In the dirt. On a rainy day. I watched him from work just wishing I had remote audio setup so I could yell "DUDE WTF are you doing??".

Anyway, looks like Auber made good, better than they NEEDED to, and all is well. Torches extinguished, pitch forks back in the shed, and P-J can ignore the thread knowing not everyone was against Auber :) Now, more beer please!

For those of you ordering off Amazon and not confident in the security of your front porch, it may be worth looking into: http://www.wired.com/business/2012/...frontlines-of-retail-war-to-back-of-7-eleven/ - Granted, it's no help for other retailers.

To the topic - I've had nothing but success with Auber, but I didn't have the same experience as you. I think it's safe to say that, had the box not been stolen (not Auber's fault), you would be on here defending them as well.

The good news is, the situation is all but resolved.

"I'm going to make my future decisions based on this poor service"
Enjoy your new REX-C100's! LOL

I would have to say that the only company involved that came out excellent in this thread is USAA. I'm glad it got resolved for you but too bad it had to go all the way to almost having a charge reversed by USAA to get decent customer service.
However, I will still order from Auber because of their high quality items but I will make sure to use my USAA card!
If anything positive can come from all this banter, it should be for all of us to be more careful when we check out online and make better shipping decisions or directions.
Cheers to all!

I doubt it. but I think you should cut the man some slack. Give the man his due. This site has hundreds of electrical diagrams done by P-J, as a service to others, at what must have been considerable effort on his part, and no cost to us. There is also a post by him noting that he is advancing in years and not in the best of health, and raising the question about saving his many diagrams after he cannot support them. His work has been vendor neutral. He appears to have had far more experience than most of us with these vendors and the use of their products. I doubt that he is in the employ of Auber, any more than BCS or Brewtroller or whoever. His work has certainly not hinted at that. He deserves respect, and some latitude if his temper is a bit short. IMHO, he has more than earned these. Cheap shots are just that - cheap. Sneers elevate no one, and reflect poorly. There's that old Lincoln quote about remaining silent....

Sorry, that does not excuse his attitude.

I still don't get why everyone is suggesting OP needed to make a "better shipping decision." Every apartment I've ever rented had a main office that accepted packages. If that was SOP for OP he wouldn't have thought twice about ordering. It is not Auber's fault nor OP's fault, it is FedEx's fault. If FedEX is not paying Auber or paying them some reduced percentage of the items actual cost, then FedEx is a POS... but I think we knew that already anyway. If Auber was asking for additional money to help cover the potential profit loss from the item, then that is just terrible business.

OP, I'm glad this is finally fixed for you. For those acting like Auber did the right thing here, give me a break. Shame on Auber.

They knew from day one that Fedex intended to pay the claim, and yet, they still wanted an extra $70 from the OP. They coincidentally agreed to reship once USAA got involved... if you believe that it was just a coincidence, I have a bridge that I'd like to interest you in.

homebrewdad said:
OP, I'm glad this is finally fixed for you. For those acting like Auber did the right thing here, give me a break. Shame on Auber.

They knew from day one that Fedex intended to pay the claim, and yet, they still wanted an extra $70 from the OP. They coincidentally agreed to reship once USAA got involved... if you believe that it was just a coincidence, I have a bridge that I'd like to interest you in.

Oh look. It's that guy that knows everything. In a thread full of other guys that know everything.

Frankly, OP probably should have just kept his whole complaint in house while the process was ongoing. All he did was stir up a bunch of unwarranted complaints about a company that apparently has a good reputation. He followed all of the right steps and got a good result yet everyone is still upset. Sometimes it just takes a little patience when dealing with a corporate problem, this time there were 2 companies to get in the mix, with contradictory policies to boot.

But hey, let's all continue to complain about a situation that was resolved peacefully.

Guess expressing an opinion is frowned upon although I thought the definition of a forum was a place for public discussion of topics of shared interest which this seems to fit

Agreed there is a lot of venom in some of the posts and I have no standing here but why come here at all if you just want to hear your own opinion parroted?

Un subscribed

Tinhorn said:
Guess expressing an opinion is frowned upon although I thought the definition of a forum was a place for public discussion of topics of shared interest which this seems to fit

Agreed there is a lot of venom in some of the posts and I have no standing here but why come here at all if you just want to hear your own opinion parroted?

Un subscribed

I have no dog in this fight as I have never used this company and likely wont since I don't intend to go electric. Either way, getting out the pitchforks and torches early never solved anything.

I have no dog in this fight as I have never used this company and likely wont since I don't intend to go electric. Either way, getting out the pitchforks and torches early never solved anything.

We may never know if they would have acted differently if this thread was never started. It is entirely possible they would have kept the extra 70 dollars had the op just said fine and basically placed a second order as the company wanted originally.

DougK said:
We may never know if they would have acted differently if this thread was never started. It is entirely possible they would have kept the extra 70 dollars had the op just said fine and basically placed a second order as the company wanted originally.

And if this thread didn't exist we could be arguing over something equally benign. If OP started a thread telling us how after weeks of trying and bank action Auber still refused to budge then that would be something completely different. He started a thread immediately calling out a respected vendor over a perceived injustice that, frankly, was not Aubers fault. FedEx owned up immediately and things went from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back