Dry Hop Film

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigWanker

Reaction score
Hey all, thanks in advance for any advice. On a couple of recent brews, I've experimented with dry hopping. On both of these brews, one an APA the other an IPA, I used Cascade whole hops for the dry hopping. Both of these developed a thin, white, bubbly film on top of the hops. With the APA, I racked the beer out from under neath the hops/film and kegged it. In the keg, it develoved a similar, though not as bad white, bubbly film. I decided to force carb it and see how it tasted. It was great. One of the better brews that I've made. The IPA has a similar film. I've also racked it to a keg. It also tasted great. I have not had a chance to check it yet as this was just last night. I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this and if it is anything to worry about. Brews before this did not have this and the 2-3 brews since this have not had this. Thanks again!:mug:

Yes actually funny you should mention that because I just made a batch 2 days ago, and although I didn't dry hop I did add late hop additions and right now I have a nice bubbly white film on the top which I'm hoping will drop. I'll let ya know what happens but I think sometime in the secondary will clear it right up.

I'm not sure exactly why this happened but I did make a few changes including using starsan for the first time as well as using irish miss in the flake form instead of the pellet form.

Either way I'm sure it will clear up

Just to clarify a bit, I noticed this after it had been in the secondary for 2 weeks and I have not changed my methods any. I try to be diligent about sanitation.

Thanks.

-BW

Funny you say this, i had the same issue start in my brewery. it first happened with an ipa that had dry hops. I thought it was from the muslin bag. I gave all of my equipment a good long soak in some extra strength star san, replaced my siphon tubing and it apeared again in my seconday without the dry hops. I kegged and have been drinking the Ipa and it is delicious. I am going to soak all my stuff in bleach this weekend to see if i get this stuff to stop.

I initially thought it was from my hops bag in the APA as well so I didn't use one for the IPA. I just dumped the hops in and it developed again. It only seems to appear for me when I dry hop.

-BW

It is probably krausen forming in the secondary, just from yeast being kicked up again, hapens sometimes. and how dow you know it is happening in the keg? you should just leave it closed once it is all sealed up, to avoind contamination, IMO.

Cheers

OK. That's kind of what I was thinking. It just looked weird and I was curious about it. And wop31 you're probably right about the keg, but I just wanted to see if the film was still there. Thanks for the input everyone.

-BW

Back