Feb 23 Boston Homebrew Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcp27

Reaction score
I can't wait. This will be my first time entering a BJCP competition. I hope a lot of HBTers enter.

Let's hope so, we're a bit behind on the # of entries this year so we could definitely use more.

$hit, that's no good. it's definitely still on, but i'll update once its fixed. thanks for the headsup

Hey DCP,
I'd love to enter this competition, but all my beer is currently bottled in 22oz bottles. and my three batches of beer won't be ready by the competition. Do you make exceptions? I'm worried that if I open my 22 oz bottles to transfer to the 10-14 oz bottles, it will go flat.

no worries, you can keep them in the 22z. i'll adjust the rules to reflect it. other than ease of transport i'm not sure why we had that rule, it was largely ignored last year anyway

another question from the newbie. Is the day of the competition only open to contestants? or can I bring my wife and kids?

Typically the competitions are only really open to the staff (judges, stewards, etc). It's a long event and pretty boring to watch. I'll hafta talk it over with the other coordinators. The kids are likely a no though. We're still taking volunteers if you want to sign up tho to see what its all about.
If you want to see a small judging, you can come to our clubs meeting next week for a club-only barleywine competition (given anyone actually has any). wort.org

Not a problem if it's judges/stewards only. Maybe I'll sign up as a volunteer, what does a steward do? I noticed it looked like you could sign up as a newbie judge? BTW, thanks for the info.

stewards basically bring the judges the beer, make sure they have enough cups/scoresheets/water/etc and check that the scores are tallied correctly. most judges are nice and will let you try some of the beer as well and you can listen in on their thoughts about them too.

newbie judges are welcome as well. they will always be paired up with a veteran judge, tho we expect them to be familiar with BJCP themselves. but if its your first experience with it, we usually recommend stewarding

Just registered 3 brews! I wanted to double check the drop off date. I thought it was the 8th but now the website is saying the 15th. I just want to confirm with you so I don't miss the deadline. Thanks.

The drop off is the 15th now, we decided to give people extra time.

Good luck with the brews!

Just dropped off my entry! It's my first time entering a BJCP competition too. Looking for some helpful feedback on my beer.

Hey DCP. I signed up to be a steward, but based on the email I got the other day, I likely can only be a steward for 1/2 the day (wife's got to work either morning or afternoon and I have to kid sit). With the new format, do we get either morning or afternoon session, or do we need to be at both?

Its preferred for stewards/judges to be there for both sessions, but if you can only be there for one or the other that is fine. Just let us know which so we can assign properly.

Well DCP, if you were part of the organizers for the BHC, big thanks to you. Enjoyed it, even as just a steward.
I couldn't stick around for final Best in Show though. Eager to hear what beer won it.

I was, thanks for the props & thanks for participating. Sorry if didn't meet you, was a busy day. Cream ale was BOS, we'll have the results out within next few days

Didn't place but I can't wait to get my scorecards. Thanks DCP. I'll be back next year!

I'm not sure when we'll be mailing scoresheets back yet. The plan was next weekend, but a lot of people (myself included) won't be around so it may be pushed back. Hopefully we'll get them back to everyone by St. Pattys Day

Thanks for a great competition. I submitted Murphy's Law; thrilled to have placed in American Ale, but I noticed it lists a club affilition for me which I don't belong to. I know that can throw a monkey wrench in the year end standings for best club so I wanted to pass that along. Was going to send an email but saw this thread when I was pokin' around. Thanks Again!

As another first-time entrant, thanks for putting this on. Organizing these are never inconsequential amounts of time, and I certainly appreciate it.

not to keep bugging you guys, but do you think the scoresheets will be mailed out this week? love to see mine before I go on my business trip next Tuesday.

Back