Brewing a SMASH Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBelli

Beer Lover
Reaction score
I want to brew a SMASH Kolsch with all Vienna....
I want to mix it up and depart from the norm a bit.
I am open to suggestions on hops... decoctions or anything else that may be able to make this unique but still easy drinking without having it taste aweful

I would love to get suggestions from the membership!!

Thanks

I made a smash with 2-row and centennial, turned out great. Most Kolsch's just have light bittering hops anyways. The yeast is key. Also ferment in ideal temp range for sure. That is crucial.

WLP029 German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast
From a small brewpub in Cologne, Germany, this yeast works great in Kölsch and Alt style beers. Good for light beers like blond and honey. Accentuates hop flavors, similar to WLP001. The slight sulfur produced during fermentation will disappear with age and leave a super clean, lager like ale.
Attenuation: 72-78%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-69°F
(18-21°C)
Does not ferment well less than 62°F(17°C), unless during active fermentation.
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

Vienna and Northern Brewer hops are an amazing pair. I brewed a Vienna/Northern Brewer SMaSH that turned out very good. I don't think the decoction will be necessary as the Vienna is very flavorful and malty on it's own.

All Vienna would be awfully dark for a Kölsch, no? Probably a nice beer, though, style specs be damned.

For hops, you can't miss with the German noble varieties. If it were mine I'd go with all Spalter and call it "alt".

I did a Vienna/NB lager. OG was 1.042, with a single addition of an ounce at 60" for 30-something IBU. It did not taste anything like a Kölsch. Vienna is too rich and bready. You need Pils malt.

If you want a SMaSH Kolsch you pretty much have to go the Pils/noble hop route. Anything else won't really be close to a Kolsch.

I want a vienna lager style but don't want to use a lager yeast, because I can't control the ferment to 50 in my chamber.. but I have no problems to get it at 60 in my chamber... That is why I thought of a kolsch yeast? Does the kolsch yeast impart a very unique flavor or is it just a low temp clean flavor ale yeast.

I like the suggestions of Northern Brewer/Vienna

do you think the Kolsch yeast is a bad choice?

I want a vienna lager style but don't want to use a lager yeast, because I can't control the ferment to 50 in my chamber.. but I have no problems to get it at 60 in my chamber... That is why I thought of a kolsch yeast? Does the kolsch yeast impart a very unique flavor or is it just a low temp clean flavor ale yeast.

Kolsch yeast best fermented in the upper 60's. It's a relatively clean yeast but there should be some fruity hints to a true Kolsch. If you want a just plain clean yeast go with chico (us-05, wl001, wy1056).

But he's trying to approximate a Vienna, not a Kolsch. I think the Kolsch yeast would work well if you ferment at the very bottom of the temp range. For WY2565 you can ferment in the 56-57F range and get a really clean profile. I haven't brewed with the WLP029, but know its temp range is slightly higher.

The issue you will have is that Kolsch yeast is a low flocc'er. Even with gelatin or isinglass held at 35 or 40F, it can take 2-3 weeks to completely clear. After clearing the taste is quite awesome. If you have a means of racking to secondary and lagering the carboy in a fridge, this should work out great for you.

But he's trying to approximate a Vienna, not a Kolsch. I think the Kolsch yeast would work well if you ferment at the very bottom of the temp range. For WY2565 you can ferment in the 56-57F range and get a really clean profile. I haven't brewed with the WLP029, but know its temp range is slightly higher.

The issue you will have is that Kolsch yeast is a low flocc'er. Even with gelatin or isinglass held at 35 or 40F, it can take 2-3 weeks to completely clear. After clearing the taste is quite awesome. If you have a means of racking to secondary and lagering the carboy in a fridge, this should work out great for you.

I fermented a Kolsch (WP029) in the low 60's and it was very clean, too. I'd go with a chico or even possibly a SF lager yeast. Add a fan and wet t-shirt to the FV in your already-60-degree chamber and you should be great for a steam beer yeast.

I have a dual stage temp control fermentation chamber... powered by a small dorm fridge, it is just under powered and it is hard to keep 50.... I have no issues holding from 55 degrees and upward, so thats why I think the Kolsch yeast would be a nice fit... plus I like to experiment:)

You got my point! I have the 2 weeks to lager at 35degrees and I will add knox....

Awesome, with a temp controlled fridge you should be golden. Pitch a med/large yeast starter that has been decanted (2.5-3 qts) at the bottom end of the yeasts range and hold there for 2 weeks. Then drop the temp as low as you can (50), add some gelatin/isinglass and rack to carboy. Hold that at 50 for as long as it takes to clear.

The SF lager yeast would work very well for what you are going for as well and is a highly flocculant strain so would clear on it's own very well. Fermented at the low range you will get a very clean taste. It's one of my favorite yeasts since I can't truly lager but I faux lager with it with some very good results.

The SF lager yeast would work very well for what you are going for as well and is a highly flocculant strain so would clear on it's own very well. Fermented at the low range you will get a very clean taste. It's one of my favorite yeasts since I can't truly lager but I faux lager with it with some very good results.

+1. I made a very crisp, clean ANchor Steam clone (Yooper's) that received many compliments. I like it better than the original. I fermented around 55 the entire time and the beer was very clear after a 24hr. cold-crash in the fridge, then racked to keg.

So you got good results with the SF Lager yeast???

So you got good results with the SF Lager yeast???

Yes, I love it... My California Common was great, my Baltic Porter using it tastes great so far (gets bottled this weekend), and I have heard of many people using it for things like an Oktoberfest and getting medals in competition. Keep the temp around 55 during primary and you will get GREAT results.

Here is the final recipe.... I went with the Kolsch yeast...in the fermentation chamber now at 60 degrees... I'll keep you posted on the results

Batch Size:6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.86 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Efficiency: 75.00
IBU's: 23.9 IBUs
Pre-boil grav: 1.041
Est. ABV: 5.1 %
Starting Gravity: 1.050

Ingredients:

11 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) 100.0 %
0.75 oz Northern Brewer [9.40 %] - Boil 40.0 min 20.3 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [9.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min 3.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) [35.49 ml] Yeast

Mash Steps
Mash In- 4.63 gal of water at 160.0 F to mash at 151.0 F for 60 min
Fly Sparge: 5.05 gal at 170

Salts for this batch.... to balance my water report
2gr Gypsum
6gr Calc. Chloride
5gr Epsom Salt
No Latic

I am sure this beer is already brewed and drank, but I wanted to add that if you are looking for a kolsch representation in the United States to see what the yeaSt are capable of, you can drop into a BJs restaurant - their kolsch is more/less stylistically correct in my opinion. I have been to cologne for the record :)

dragonlor20 said:
I am sure this beer is already brewed and drank, but I wanted to add that if you are looking for a kolsch representation in the United States to see what the yeaSt are capable of, you can drop into a BJs restaurant - their kolsch is more/less stylistically correct in my opinion. I have been to cologne for the record :)

Thanks for the heads up

It's too late, but if you were dead set on a hybrid yeast I would have recommended Wyeast 2112 - California Common. It ferments well up to 65 F (Really keep it at or below 60 F during fermentation) and finishes very clear. Probably a bit more forgiving then the kolsch yeast you used.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/com_b_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=131

The kolsch style yeast can be more temperamental, doesn't clear well, and probably is not the best for an all Vienna malt recipe.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/com_b_yeaststrain.cfm

The more yeasts I try, the more I come to appreciate good ol' 2565. I've made 3 lagers so far, and although its probably my technique, each of the 4 batches made with WY2565 turned out better. I made an Alt with it and it was one of my best brews to date. I see no issues with the Kolsch yeast outside of the low flocculation. Gelatin or Isinglass works wonders for it. I highly recommend people try this yeast out if they haven't yet.

Also curious how the Vienna SMaSH went? I did a 2-row w/ Cent that turned out okay. The Vienna sounds more interesting to me.

Can't speak highly enough for the SF steam yeast. It IS a lager yeast, don't let anyone talk you out of that...but it produces great lagers and anything you want clear and clean. I usually ferment in the mid 50s with it but it works great at 60, too. Swamp cooler should easily keep you in its range

In fact, I use it interchangeably with clean ale yeasts for specialty beers. Made a pumpkin lager that turned out phenomenal

The more yeasts I try, the more I come to appreciate good ol' 2565. I've made 3 lagers so far, and although its probably my technique, each of the 4 batches made with WY2565 turned out better. I made an Alt with it and it was one of my best brews to date. I see no issues with the Kolsch yeast outside of the low flocculation. Gelatin or Isinglass works wonders for it. I highly recommend people try this yeast out if they haven't yet.

Also curious how the Vienna SMaSH went? I did a 2-row w/ Cent that turned out okay. The Vienna sounds more interesting to me.

Turned out better than I expected..... at 4 weeks in the keg it was ok .... I kind of forgot about it but at 8 weeks in the keg it was frigging very very tasty. Very nice smooth vinish... easy drinking..

I should have said, though, that I don't know that I'd use the SF Steam yeast on a Kolsch as it won't give any of the fruity esters that a Kolsch yeast will give.

His recipe was all Vienna malt and used Northern Brewer hops...it's not a Kolsch. Any fruity esters derived from the yeast will likely be dominated by the piney Northern brewer hops. It's probably a good tasting beer but I don't think the Kolsch yeast would really add much to this recipe.

Yeah, wasn't speaking to this beer, just that if anyone stumbled into this thread reading the title "Kolsch" and then my comments about SF Steam yeast, I wouldn't pair those two up.

As you know, a Kolsch is a delicate style. It's less ingredient-driven than some. What I mean is that it's generally just Pils or 2-row and a noble hop, which could be a number of styles depending on mash temp, hop amount and yeast. The balance of malt, hop, and esters are key with a Kolsch. The malt should take a back seat and the beer is generally pretty dry. Noble hops are a must as is some level of fruit, so not all yeasts will work. The hops and fruity esters can vary from hardly detectable to medium presence but shouldn't be overpowering. I don't think I've nailed this one just yet, personally, though my next-door neighbor makes one helluva Kolsch.

For a change of pace with Kolsch, I do an Alaskan Amber clone that is very tasty (drinking one while I type) and is not your typical Kolsch (which I LOVE). Blue Mountain does a Kolsch 151 which is very much what you would get in Cologne or Dusseldorf and it is an awesome beer, highlighting the yeast as the style dictates. That said, the Alt that I am drinking now is awesome and is NOTHING like your stylistic kolsch beer, but it FABULOUS and the yeast shines even with all the crystal malts, Amarillo, Saaz, and other tasty flavors...you can still taste the delicious , delicate Kolsch yeast flavors!! I am a big fan of brewing by the numbers, so to speak, but going off path sometimes yields awesome beers! Cheers all!!!

His recipe was all Vienna malt and used Northern Brewer hops...it's not a Kolsch. Any fruity esters derived from the yeast will likely be dominated by the piney Northern brewer hops. It's probably a good tasting beer but I don't think the Kolsch yeast would really add much to this recipe.

The recipe was not going to be a Kolsch I just like the flavor of the yeast and thought it would work well with vienna. The main reason for this was to try a SMASH beer that was malt driven rather than the typical hop driven SMASH beers. I like my Kolsch brews but I wanted to try a more malty backbone .....forgetting style, I only wanted a malty version of my normal Kolsch beer.

IMHO this was a very good , clean session beer.... and the kolsch yeast did have a flavor impact.

Experimenting with styles is how new styles are born.

Few months late to the party, but I recently took 2nd place for a SMaSH Kolsch. It was all pils malt and hersbrucker hops. Used wyeast Kolsch strain fermented at 60. 2 of 4 score sheets gave me a 40 and 43. After bottle conditioning, I left it in the fridge for 3 weeks before turning it in. Super clear! My best comments were on appearance. I think the yeast flocs fine given time in the cold.

Few months late to the party, but I recently took 2nd place for a SMaSH Kolsch. It was all pils malt and hersbrucker hops. Used wyeast Kolsch strain fermented at 60. 2 of 4 score sheets gave me a 40 and 43. After bottle conditioning, I left it in the fridge for 3 weeks before turning it in. Super clear! My best comments were on appearance. I think the yeast flocs fine given time in the cold.

Congrats!!! Love to have the recipe.... please post

Sure thing. Ending with a 6 gallon batch:

11# German pilsner

1oz Tradition @60
1oz Tradition @20

Pitched a healthy starter of wyeast 2565
Fermented at 60

Target OG of 1.051 based on 75% eff

After bottle conditioning, lagering the bottles in cold for 3-4 weeks is when it started to become really good.

Mine has a little more fruit notes then maybe should be there. I am going to try the white labs wlp029 next time and ferment a couple degrees cooler.

Back