Sam Adams Black Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
Just found it a few days ago. Not a bad beer IMO. Nice Chocolate flavor, low hops. Anyone else tried it and if so, what did you think?

One my favorite Sam Adams brews. The same for my brother and dad, which works out nicely. Since it's not always in the store around here, all of us pick it up when we see it and share.

Perhaps one of my favorite offerings from SA. A little more malty than the typical schwarzbier but it is very tasty.

I love it! Also the Winter Lager, and Double Bock are my favorite SA brews.
Almost forgot the Holiday Porter and Old Feziwig all of these are seasonal brews I can get the Black Lager anytime.

If you like the Black Lager you'd probably like their Holiday Porter too plus it has more alcohol:drunk:

Still waiting to find the Longshot beers here in Hawaii. Looking forward to tasting them as well. Got lucky with the Black Lager as I went to a different conveinance store looking for some hefe and found it instead.

2nd Street Brewery said:
Slightly off topic but I'm just finishing a 12 pack of SA's latest seasonal offering, their White Ale. Nice, easy drinking beer.

If you like the White winter ale try Blue Moon's White Belgian I like Sam's but I think Blue Moon's is much better.

abracadabra said:
If you like the White winter ale try Blue Moon's White Belgian I like Sam's but I think Blue Moon's is much better.

I drink Blue Moon alot too. Good beer, hasen't dropped off that much since Coors took them over.

2nd Street Brewery said:
I drink Blue Moon alot too. Good beer, hasen't dropped off that much since Coors took them over.

Didn't know Coors had bought them out. Too bad. That explains a lot.

McKBrew said:
Still waiting to find the Longshot beers here in Hawaii. Looking forward to tasting them as well. Got lucky with the Black Lager as I went to a different conveinance store looking for some hefe and found it instead.

:off: Brew Moon's beer give me a headache, I don't recall getting a headache from Sam Choy's or Gordon Birsch though. What about you?

abracadabra said:
:off: Brew Moon's beer give me a headache, I don't recall getting a headache from Sam Choy's or Gordon Birsch though. What about you?

The only beer I've drank from the 3 is the GB, but not at the restaurant, just from the store. I like their hefe, and the Marzen is OK.

Bought a Sam Adams Mix Pack yesterday. Has two each of the black lager, honey porter, brown ale,scotch ale,Boston lager, and Boston ale. Really dug the black lager, but it seems like a light porter. Seemed like it needed ... more. The scotch ale was OK, but I don't think I could drink many of them. The smoked peat malt they use is a little strong for my taste, but I could go for it in a strong sipping ale. Maybe something 8%ABV or better. Might give that a try this winter. I liked the brown ale better than Newcastle. At least it wasn't as boring. Can't wait for the Brown Ale Gods to smite me for that one! I think it's great for a commercial brewer to offer all these choices. Heck, they even give a sort of ingredients list on the label. I know that Bud does that " Choicest hops, barley and rice, etc", but this beer actually has flavor!

Fwiw, my .02

Back