Filtered beer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeak

Reaction score
Good Afternoon All,

i had been doing some reading on the filtering of homebrew. I did a raspberry ale and had it in the secondary for 2 weeks. Good smells, good taste while flat. I wasnt clearing the raspberry leavins at 2 weeks as fast as i would like. I know that if i had waited longer they might have eventually settled.
I made the filter set up as i see on the forum. i got a basic filter housing from HD and im using a 5micron sediment filter. It transferred wonderfully.

I get that there should be no more activity left as far as the fermentation. Further, i know that i have a liq that has quite a bit of alcohol to fight off nasties.

In my transfer, i ran star san through the first keg through the filter for awhile. I dumped the sanitizer from the keg and the filter housing. The "leavins raspberry" ale was siphoned into the first keg. I turned on the CO2 and i let the first part of the liq coming out of the filter run into waste until i reasoned i pushed out all of the remaining star san that would have soaked the filter. I will also say that i ran CO2 into the bottom of the recieving keg to purge the air/oxygen. It filled without incident. I force carbed and got a tasty chunkless raspberry ale.

So with this wordy narrative all i am asking: is it necessary to sanitize that new filter and housing for the transfer or are we not worried about it and just tear open the packaged filter and go to work?

Thanks,
Scott

Yes, sanitize the filter and housing. The only exception are lab grade filters marked as sanitary, which you obviously won't find in a local hardware store.

To be absolutely sure, I heat pasteurize my filters at 162F for 15 minutes. Just fill the canister with ~165F water, insert the filter, screw on the cap, and wait 15 minutes.

I would guess that the filter cartridge would be safe to use out of the box (bag?). OTOH, you will want to purge it of any air/oxygen anyway, so why not use some StarSan to do both. The StarSan is low cost and this would be cheap insurance IMO. Otherwise, it sounds like you are doing everything the right way. Now you got me to thinking that you might be able to purge the air from the filter using CO2. I wonder if anyone has tried that yet. I haven't, but it seems like it would work. The StarSan method is probably more foole proof though.

Back