Unpasteurized Cider Going Wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJoe5313

Reaction score
Well I had some unpasteurized cider that I got straight from the orchard on Saturday. It finally started to bubble this morning. When I opened the door to where the bucket is fermenting I could smell a slight hint of something. I didn't smell like the normal cider burbs you usually get from the bubbler. So curious to see what it is I popped the top. There is no mold or anything, but it definitely doesn't look normal. It was foaming at the top like usual but within the foam there are darker and lighter spots. It also definitely did not smell to great although it is not a strong cent as of yet. Is it to late to save this batch? I hate to wast 5 gallons of cider. My other two batches seem to be fine and I picked all 3 batches from the same place this past Saturday.

EDIT: I also want to add that this is my first and only batch using natural or "wild" yeast. Could it be that it just is cause a different smell, I don't think so but thought I'd ask to make sure.

after my first batch of cider it took me a while to talk the SWMBO into "allowing" me to make another it because it smelled so bad for the first few WEEKS

oh ok. This is good news. Like I said it's my first time with wild yeast so I wasn't so sure if this was normal or not. You guys are a life saver.

BigJoe5313, I don't have the option of fresh cider, and I'm a little too paranoid and cheap to try wild yeast on a large batch.
If it does not smell like Cr@p I don't think it will be bad, best of luck. And I really hope it comes out well for you.

Latest posts

Back