Montrachet Wine Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamW

Reaction score
I've got a batch of EdWorts thats been in the fermenter for about a month. I was wondering how long I can leave it in there till:
1) Autolysis kicks in and makes off flavors? (does this happen with wine yeast as well)
2) How long do I have until it will be unable to self carbonate by adding priming sugar when I bottle?

I guess carbonation is a choice for this, but I'm still thinking that I would prefer it carbonated. I'm really in no rush to take it out, so in your guys' opinion, how long can I let it sit there before I lose my potential for bubbles?

you will he the potential for carbonation for a long time I don't know the exact timeframe. But I have had beers/ apfelwein carb up after 6 months.

I let mine sit for a year and it tasted great. Had to add more yeast and sugar to get it carbed but it tasted fantastic

I let a batch sit 2 months in the fermenter, then 1 month bottle carbed. Fantastic, although I'm sure it gets better with age. According to EDWort's apfelwein posting, 1 month is minimum in primary.

Allrighty, yeah I definitely don't mind letting it sit there for a really long time. I might try to carb half of it, and leave the other half uncarbed though, figure out which way I prefer.

Back