Read this before you buy from Kegkits.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmb

"I just got a new pet toaster!"
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
MOD EDIT: Multiple threads merged. Bottom line - kegkits.com is not a reputable supplier.

Anyone know if kegkits.com (Tom Hargrave) is still in business or not?

Ordered quite a bit of hardware from kegkits.com Friday of last week, (5/30) and promptly recieved an invoice email. Credit Card was billed on the 3rd.

All calls going into the 1-866 number ended up being forwarded to a "full mailbox" and you get hung up on. Multiple emails to [email protected] have gone unanswered. Not great feelings for customer service here.

Anyone have any other contact information for contacts or do I have to start a charge back on this vendor?

Have you tried reaching him @ 256-656-1924?

Edit:
Also Balto Charlie contacted me back in Feb 2008 regarding Tom @ KegKits and hopefully this isn't a new trend we are seeing with his customer service.

Hey HarvinSTL: Since you have ordered from him I thought I would tell you my current situation. I ordered a bunch of kegging supplies from kegkits. That was almost 2 weeks ago. I don't want to slam their name but I am getting no replies to my emails. Slow shipping is one thing but no response is not right. When you bought from him how fast did he ship? He said they would ship in 3 days and send shipping info. So far 3 emails, 12 days and nothing. I don't want to slam this guy but I need the stuff. If he would tell me that he can't fill the order then I would be fine with that. But nothing at all. Did he treat you this way? He was so quick to answer my emails before I ordered. Any input? Thanks Charlie

I can tell you that Tom is anwsering his emails because he just sent one on Wednesday to the AHA TechTalk email list.

Have you tried reaching him @ 256-656-1924?

Edit:
Also Balto Charlie contacted me back in Feb 2008 regarding Tom @ KegKits and hopefully this isn't a new trend we are seeing with his customer service.
I can tell you that Tom is anwsering his emails because he just sent one on Wednesday to the AHA TechTalk email list.

Tried that number just now. Whoever that number was didn't know about the order and said I'd have to call back at 6:00 pm central.

I take it Kegkits.com is some guy in his garage who gets orders together when he has free time? Not impressed thus far.

Tried that number just now. Whoever that number was didn't know about the order and said I'd have to call back at 6:00 pm central, 8:00 pm EST.

I take it Kegkits.com is some guy in his garage who gets orders together when he has free time? Not impressed thus far.

When ever I had to contact him I called his toll free number.

That is the number he puts at the bottom of his emails when he sends messages to the AHA TechTalk email list.

He actually has a place of business, he is only open on Fri. nites and Sat.
But he does work evenings during the week I'm told.....

I've always picked up my orders, (grains and other stuff...)

not sure how he is to net order stuff...

Fri- 6-9 pm
Sat, I think 12-6 or something like that

My order took a long time. After two weeks, I emailed him, he responded, and I had my stuff a few days later.

I agree, he's slow, but the good news is, I did get my stuff.

Well, he has decent pricing, but he should modify his invoice emails that say orders ship within 3 days.

I'll let it ride another week.

I ordered a keg from him. About 2 weeks after no email replies, and no goods, I started calling. Every time I got "I'm not at my office, so call back later tonight." I did, every time, and every time that night his response was "it should go out soon." After about another week of this, I finally found out from him that he gets kegs in large shipments, and my keg was in this shipment..... which he hadn't received yet.

I ended up getting my keg close to a month after I ordered. I have better luck with ebay, sadly.

Oh, how I wish I would have seen this post before ordering from kegkits. I ordered on June 4th. Thinking that a week and a half would be plenty of time as I wanted to have my kegerator completely setup by this weekend. Got my credit card charged on the 7th and still no products on around $250 in merchandise. Can't get any responses from any of the emails I send them. Just plain bad service. I could stand if they gave you an email or response that said they are waiting on something but this is ridiculous.

Oh, how I wish I would have seen this post before ordering from kegkits. I ordered on June 4th. Thinking that a week and a half would be plenty of time as I wanted to have my kegerator completely setup by this weekend. Got my credit card charged on the 7th and still no products on around $250 in merchandise. Can't get any responses from any of the emails I send them. Just plain bad service. I could stand if they gave you an email or response that said they are waiting on something but this is ridiculous.

I got a hold of Tom on Friday afternoon the 13th, after two weeks of full voice mail boxes and dodging emails. Supposedly, my order was to go out on Saturday the 14th, fifteen days after I ordered because they were waiting for regulator bodies that "should be delivered from the supplier today."

I've yet to receive a shipment notification or any return emails from Kegkits as of June 15th. I ordered on the 30th of May.

I finally got in touch with Tom on Sunday morning through email. Gave me the same response, waiting on items that should be coming in on wednesday. Should ship Thursday.

Evenings after normal business hours are sometimes good too. If he has shipments to do you can catch him then.

From my limited experience with Tom I wouldn't peg him as someone that would run off with your money. I think sometimes he just gets stuck with more orders than he has inventory to cover. Combine that with it being, at least in my mind, a part time business and you can see how it causes issues. He is likely plagued with minimal leverage to put on suppliers and minimal time to mess with them.

All of this my opinion only.

Ordered May 16. After numerous calls/emails (emails were never responded to), finally delivered June 6.
1 item missing. Emails still not being responded to and I still don't have my missing item. Time to start up the daily calls again. :(

Just bumping my own thread, because I'm like that.

Previously was told that my order would go out June 14th because they had to wait on items from the supplier.

Riiight.....

Items apparently never shipped on the 14th because I called back today (June 20th) and when I asked what the status was on my order I was told that "uhh that went out earlier in the week." When I asked about a tracking number I was told "uhh we sent that priority mail" and that "it should be delivered today or tomorrow."

I'm just praying that IF the package was actually shipped this time, that all the parts ordered are actually IN the box shipped. I can't imagine trying to fix a botched shipment at this point.

Unbelievable. Twenty days later I'm still waiting.

Too bad you guys are having so many issues, I had the easiest transaction with them. I had a question which was answered the same day. I placed an order and it was shipped shortly after. I didn't have any problems. I thought I had found a place with great prices and good service, but now I am nervous to return or recommend others to order from there.

Not to add fuel to the fire, but I ordered quite a few kegging parts from Tom a while back. I received my order in a reasonable amount of time, but I had ordered a couple of o-ring kits for kegs and did not receive the small o-rings for the dip tubes. It took several emails and phone calls to finally get through to Tom and when I did, he said he'd have to look into it and find out why they weren't shipped. I thought, why not just ship them instead of first trying to find out why they weren't. A few days later I got a message that his son had packed those orders and they were out of the small o-rings so he just went ahead and shipped the order without them! In the end, I did get the o-rings, but it was a bit frustrating and delayed my kegging a batch because I needed the o-rings to rebuild a keg. It seems like Tom is trying, but it's pretty obvious this isn't his main priority.

I suppose I should add that I didn't order a couple dollars worth of tubing and connects, but pretty much everything I would need to build a six faucet kegging system with 4 ball lock and two sanke kegs tapped.

Not a little order by any means, and a fair chunk of change. That's why I'm more than a little anxious about this.

mmb,
did you receive your order yet? I ordered June 4th. After trying to email several times reached him on 6/15 and said order would go out on thursday 19th because was waiting on perlick faucets that should be in on wednesday. It is now the 25th and still no order for my entire 4 keg setup. I guess live and learn. Sure would be nice to keg that blue moon clone that's in the fermenter. I guess I will go golfing until it comes. LOL

Tried that number just now. Whoever that number was didn't know about the order and said I'd have to call back at 6:00 pm central, 8:00 pm EST.

6 PM central s 7 PM eastern...not 8

mmb,
did you receive your order yet? I ordered June 4th. After trying to email several times reached him on 6/15 and said order would go out on thursday 19th because was waiting on perlick faucets that should be in on wednesday. It is now the 25th and still no order for my entire 4 keg setup. I guess live and learn. Sure would be nice to keg that blue moon clone that's in the fermenter. I guess I will go golfing until it comes. LOL

Order arrived Tuesday, June 24th and from the shipping label reads was shipped on June 19th.

All items arrived as ordered.

All told, I'm not disappointed in the quality of the hardware received, but in the service and communication from the shipper. Personally, I would not order from KegKits again, as I am now a month behind on my kegging project.

Had I know about the delays in shipping and the hassle of calling and emailing to check on the status my shipment back in May I would have gone with pretty much any company but KegKits.

Caveat emptor.

I have to add to the disappointment also, Im afraid. KegKits is definitely a caveat emptor organization. Service and Communication just isnt there.

I had the same scenario as most that have posted in this thread and there appears to be a common theme.

You place an order, and wait a reasonable amount of time...
Then you call and are unable to get ahold of anyone, so you email...and days pass with no communication.

When Tom finally does get in touch with you, you get the same canned message...Parts were on backorder, but 'coincidentally' YOUR order is going out today.

I started using MicroMatic. Great service, ship times, and prices.

Warren

I've ordered some stuff from him before. Communication is a bit slow but in the end I got everything I needed at a good price.

If the stuff is not time critical you can order from him since he has good deals quite often. Even if your 'deadline' is 3 weeks from now - don't risk it. That's my experience. Other than that ... the package itself and hardware is A+

I started using MicroMatic. Great service, ship times, and prices.

I've been buying from them for years. Great company to do bidness with! They get two thumbs up from me.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

www.micromatic.com

I ordered the bulk of my parts from this guy. Same issues..."we're a little behind, your order should ship in a week"...3 weeks in a row. Had I known, paying a little more to cut a month off my order time would have been well worth it...I'll never order from him again.

I ordered the bulk of my parts from this guy. Same issues..."we're a little behind, your order should ship in a week"...3 weeks in a row. Had I known, paying a little more to cut a month off my order time would have been well worth it...I'll never order from him again.

There ya go. How much more would you order been through Micromatic?

You lose a month of use and enjoyment, but you save a few bucks and deal with aggravation and nightmares of being suckered for your money.

I have thought of purchasing from him, but the savings compared to dealing with a real company are not worth it.

I ordered paintball conversion kit from Williams brewing on Wednesday. I get an immediate confirmation via email, and later that day a shipping notice complete with tracking number.

A few weeks ago, I ordered 4 Carbonator Caps online. They called me and told me that they only had 2 in stock and asked if I wanted a partial order shipped or could I wait 3 days till the rest came in.

Night and day difference in customer service and communications. Worth a few extra pennies? You bet!

31 days! Received my order over the 4th weekend while I was away. Now I can finally get started cranking on kegging that beer. Woooooohoooo!

I received everything I ordered and all items seem to be of good quality. I chose kegkits.com because I was wanting to place a rather large order to get my keezer setup complete and I went with the company I thought had the best prices and all of the parts I was looking for in the quality I was looking for. However, I would never order from this place again if I needed anything in a timely manner. I am not trying to put out the small guy I just want people who order from them to be aware of the shipping woes of this company.

Now off to building my kegerator.

Cheers!

Absolutely unacceptable. I hope they did not charge your card till they shipped your goods.

It almost sounds as if they have a cash flow problem if they are charging immediately upon order and shipping a month later.

They do charge immidiately, at least they charged mine and I also had to wait about 3 weeks on my order a couple of months ago.

I had the exact same experience. Order didn't ship until a month after my card was billed. That entire time he kept saying that one part or another was backordered and would be there the next day and my order would ship.... but it never did! Good products, no complaints about that, but I would DEFINITELY never order from them again. Terrible customer service.

Definitely sounds like they are using your money to buy the products you ordered, so you end up waiting for his order to come in, unpack it, pack up your order, then ship it to you.

Almost every mail order merchant I've dealt with does not charge your card till they actually ship the order.

Saving a few bucks, but tying up your money for a month while you sweat wondering if you will ever see it is not worth it when it could have been ordered from a REPUTABLE dealer, shipped immediately and enjoyed for over three weeks.

If this guy is indeed using the float to buy his orders, it's not a good sign. Somewhere down the line the last few customers are going to take it in the shorts.

Definitely sounds like they are using your money to buy the products you ordered, so you end up waiting for his order to come in, unpack it, pack up your order, then ship it to you.

It does sound a lot like that, but I have had similar issues when going in and buying items. I think there are two issues that are being fought here. 1) He uses pay-pal for credit card processing, so when placing an order it charges your card. I don't think they have the option for "delayed" charges (I could be wrong here). 2) He doesn't pull items off the website or e-bay when they go out of stock.

I agree totally though, I would not have been willing to wait 30 days to get product, and being internet, I probably would have gotten a refund or filed for a charge back way before then.

I have talked with Tom a fair amount and he seems like a nice guy, but I can't recommend him to people needing items shipped based on the feedback from this forum.

It does sound a lot like that, but I have had similar issues when going in and buying items. I think there are two issues that are being fought here. 1) He uses pay-pal for credit card processing, so when placing an order it charges your card. I don't think they have the option for "delayed" charges (I could be wrong here). 2) He doesn't pull items off the website or e-bay when they go out of stock.

I agree totally though, I would not have been willing to wait 30 days to get product, and being internet, I probably would have gotten a refund or filed for a charge back way before then.

I have talked with Tom a fair amount and he seems like a nice guy, but I can't recommend him to people needing items shipped based on the feedback from this forum.

That can explain the immediate charge then, as Paypal is the one dinging the card as soon as you click regardless if anything ships. I could be wrong then on that point.

Still, a month is ridiculous any way you look at it since it appears to be the norm and not an anomaly.

I had the exact same experience with kegkits.com. It was about 6 weeks before I recieved my stuff. I would never buy anything from that moron again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back