How much to fill airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andreas

Reaction score
Hi,
I usually just keep the blow-off tube going, but today I racked into secondary and am using an airlock. I filled it with vodka. This airlock has a little cap with tiny holes in it. Is it safe to keep the cap on it with vodka filled up very high? How high do experienced brewers usually fill their airlocks?
-Andy

There is a little etched line half way up, that is where you fill it to. The cap stays on, with a third piece that goes over the little tube inside.

I realized today that I didn't fill the air lock up to the fill line. It's only about halfway between the bottom and the fill-line. Is this a problem? Should I add more or will that disturb things?

Hi,
I usually just keep the blow-off tube going, but today I racked into secondary and am using an airlock. I filled it with vodka. This airlock has a little cap with tiny holes in it. Is it safe to keep the cap on it with vodka filled up very high? How high do experienced brewers usually fill their airlocks?
-Andy

Are you using a 3-piece airlock? It should have a little cap that fits over the stem inside. The cap is supposed to sort of float so that the CO2 can escape through the stem and through the holes in the floating cap. Those holes need to be below the level of the liquid so that air can't get back in to the fermenter.

I realized today that I didn't fill the air lock up to the fill line. It's only about halfway between the bottom and the fill-line. Is this a problem? Should I add more or will that disturb things?

Definitely add some more. You'll likely need to top off your airlock every couple of days. It won't disturb anything.

Are you using a 3-piece airlock? It should have a little cap that fits over the stem inside. The cap is supposed to sort of float so that the CO2 can escape through the stem and through the holes in the floating cap. Those holes need to be below the level of the liquid so that air can't get back in to the fermenter.

Definitely add some more. You'll likely need to top off your airlock every couple of days. It won't disturb anything.

Cool. Thanks!

Back